Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srihitha
Contributor III
Contributor III

Set analysis expression search Vs Dollar sign expansion

Hi,  I have two questions .Both the queries use the below inline data

My first question is ,I am trying to use below set analysis expressions in a visualization but, they are not working.

First expression with dollar sign expansion is working fine but it is not returning any values

Second expression with expression search has some error.

I am basically doing this to try to find difference between expression search and dollar sign expansion in set analysis

/*Sum{<Country={$(=(aggr(FirstSortedvalue(Country,Year),Country))}>Amount}
Sum{<Country={"=aggr(FirstSortedvalue(Country,Year),Country)=Canada"}>Amount}*/

Let vToday = Today();
MyTable:
Load
Year(Date) as Year,
Date#(Date,'YYYY-MM-DD') as ISO_Date,
Date(Date#(Date,'YYYY-MM-DD'),'M/D/YYYY') as US_Date,
Country, Product, Amount
Inline
[Date, Country, Product, Amount
2018-02-20, Canada, Washer, 6
2018-07-08, Germany, Anchor bolt, 10
2018-07-14, Germany, Anchor bolt, 3
2018-08-31, France, Nut, 2
2018-09-02, Czech Republic, Bolt, 1
2019-02-11, Czech Republic, Bolt, 3
2019-07-31, Czech Republic, Washer, 6
2020-03-13, France, Anchor bolt, 1
2020-07-12, Canada, Anchor bolt, 8
2021-10-15, France, Washer, 1];

Second question is I could see there is difference in output between these two.But, I don't understand the logic behind the processing of a expression search vs dollar sign expansion in set analysis.Can someone please explain

expression search:

Sum({<Year = {"=Max(Year)"}>}Amount)

Dollar sign expansion:

Sum({<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}>}Amount)

Dollar sign expansion is giving expected result. It is calculating Max(Year) for all columns .

Although the other expression search is working ,it is just calculating Max(Year) for every row .

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

For your solution, set analysis wouldn't help help unless you tweak more in the script. You could simply firstsortedvalue(), like:

FirstSortedValue(Aggr(Sum(Amount), Country, US_Date), US_Date)

tresesco_0-1652073398080.png

Expression search Vs dollar expansion

Expression search work per dimension which is Country for your case (Country={"=..."} ), while for dollar expansion the evaluation works once for the entire dimension.

I know this alone might not help you clear all doubts around this expression, because yours a bit more complicated with the use of aggr(). However, try to comprehend with the clue given above and hopefully that helps you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve/expected output?

srihitha
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I am trying to understand the difference between expression search and dollar sign expansion in set analysis

I am trying to get sum(amount) for country with least Year value group by country

Sum{<Country={$(=(aggr(FirstSortedvalue(Country,Year),Country))}>Amount}

For ex: I should get sum(amount) for 2020-07-12 date (least date by country) i.e. 8 here for Canada  and for germany 10.For rest of the rows,it must be 0 

2018-02-20, Canada, Washer, 6------- sum(Amount) =6

2020-07-12, Canada, Anchor bolt, 8---- -sum(Amount) =0

2018-07-08, Germany, Anchor bolt, 10----sum(Amount) =10
2018-07-14, Germany, Anchor bolt, 3----sum(Amount) =0

tresesco
MVP
MVP

For your solution, set analysis wouldn't help help unless you tweak more in the script. You could simply firstsortedvalue(), like:

FirstSortedValue(Aggr(Sum(Amount), Country, US_Date), US_Date)

tresesco_0-1652073398080.png

Expression search Vs dollar expansion

Expression search work per dimension which is Country for your case (Country={"=..."} ), while for dollar expansion the evaluation works once for the entire dimension.

I know this alone might not help you clear all doubts around this expression, because yours a bit more complicated with the use of aggr(). However, try to comprehend with the clue given above and hopefully that helps you.

srihitha
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you..I got some better understanding now