Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MatiasJR
Contributor
Contributor

Using GetObjectDimension in variable

Hey guys,

I have a Master Dimension defined as "State_City". It's two layers (i use hierarchy), so I can show measures for the State and the Cities in the same table column, according to the selection. For this, I use the function GetObjectDimension in the chart, as in:

=if(Getobjectdimension() = 'State', number_for_the_state, number_for_the_city)

Since I use this function in more than 1 place, i'd like to define a variabale "vNumber" with the expression above in the data load script, so instead of re-writing the expression every time I could just write in the chart:

=$(vNumber)

But when i define the variable in the data load script

let vNumber '=if(Getobjectdimension() = 'State', number_for_the_state, number_for_the_city)'

the function getobjectdimension() does not work. I tried changing the syntax, since the ' causes problems,  and in the end got to the expression below

let vNumber = '(IF(GetObjectDimension() = '&chr(39)&' State '& chr(39) &' , Number_for_the_state, number_for_the_city))';

The expression is evaluated by QS, but it still does not compute the function getobjectdimension.

Am I doing something wrong? How could I use this function in this case? I know it is a chart and not a script function, but since i'm only defining it in the script, and using it  in the chart, my guess is that it would work. 

Thanks in advance!

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Try:

SET vNumber = if(Getobjectdimension() = 'State', number_for_the_state, number_for_the_city);

And you must reference the variable in your chart expression using the $(variable) syntax.

-Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Try:

SET vNumber = if(Getobjectdimension() = 'State', number_for_the_state, number_for_the_city);

And you must reference the variable in your chart expression using the $(variable) syntax.

-Rob

MatiasJR
Contributor
Contributor
Author

The combination of SET + $ worked perfectly. Thank you, Rob.