Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous789
Contributor
Contributor

Variable with parameter in load script

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use a variable with a parameter in my load script (when loading in a table).

This logic works in the front-end, but not sure about the back end.

Code:

LET vVariable = 1 + $1

Table:
Load 
      '$(vVariable(2))' as VarValue
From xxx

But the result is always empty (null)

I need this because, I have the same logic occuring multiple times (if statements) but for different fields. That's why I want to store the logic in a variable, and pass the field as a parameter. 
Already tried to do this with SUB routines, but it does not work either, so if anyone has some suggestions, always welcome!

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies
Sayed_Mannan
Creator
Creator

In QlikSense, the use of variables with parameters in the load script can be a bit tricky. The issue you're facing is likely due to the way Qlik handles variable expansion in the load script.

Here's a code that might help:

SET vVariable = '1 + $(#1)';

Table:
Load
$(vVariable(2)) as VarValue
From xxx;

Here I used SET instead of LET to define the variable. The #1 is a placeholder that gets replaced by the parameter when the variable is invoked. The SET statement assigns the string literal to the variable, and the dollar sign expansion ($) still works

Remember, in QlikSense, SET creates a variable and assigns it a string literal, while LET assigns an existing variable to a value. So, using SET will still expand the $ sign, and the trick is to work around the $ sign when assigning the variable.

I hope this helps! 

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Anonymous789
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Changing the LET to SET indeed worked, thanks!