cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssims2017
Contributor II
Contributor II

Data Load Issue

I have a fairly complex data model (at least for me) and am having an issue.  I'm hoping I can give a fairly high level description of the problem since sharing the complete data model and all potential factors would be difficult to do.

My data model works for what I need it to.  I then added a new table that links to an existing table.  But when I do, the data does not show up.  The linking field is called [Financial Date].

If I rename the linking field to something else, in this case [Financial Date Temp], obviously the table will not link, but the data loads as expected.

To make things more confusing for me, when I do a data preview of the table when linked, it shows that it has rows of data, but none exist in the preview.

Here's a screen shot of the portion of my data model applicable to this question (I haven't worked to resolve the synthetic key yet, but the it does not give me any issues with the rest of the data model, so I may just leave it).  This is the version when I name the field [Financial Date] the same and it links, but no data shows up.  The version of the data model where the data comes in and show up is the same, but [Financial Date] is renamed to [Financial Date Temp] and the link is gone.:

Linked Data Model.PNG

Here's a screen shot of the data preview when linked and no data shows up:

No Data.PNG

Here's a screen shot of the data preview when not linked and data shows up correctly.

Data.PNG

Both screens show 182 rows of data, but I dont get any actual data when linked.

Thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hard to diagnose without access to app.
but you screenshot shows column tag as text which looks wrong considering it is a date. have a feeling some data is messing with it. Check the data type of your column Financial Date in table Financials.
How are you creating the as of table?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hard to diagnose without access to app.
but you screenshot shows column tag as text which looks wrong considering it is a date. have a feeling some data is messing with it. Check the data type of your column Financial Date in table Financials.
How are you creating the as of table?
ssims2017
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Attached is the code to generate the two tables.  I added date# functions to [Financial Date] in both tables to make sure they were both the same data types, and re-ran it, but I get the same results.

Intersting note.  If I create a new app, and just load those 2 tables, it works fine.  So it must be something in the way the synthetic key affects it.  I tried to create a link table to eliminate the synthetic key, but got the same results.

I was hoping there was a general reason why you would see, in Preview, that there are 182 rows, but no data shows.

ssims2017
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Well... you got me thinking about data types, and I've been experimenting with different ways of loading the table and finally got it to work. I think I just lucked into it without really understanding why, but hey... it works. I ended up doing the initial load for the asof table into a temp table, then loaded from that table to the real asof table and wrapped my [Financial Date] with Date#. Thanks for getting me on the right track!