Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prees959
Creator II
Creator II

Sankey Chart Help - Flow

Hi.

I am trying to recreate  a similar flow to that by Joe Warbington's post

I am trying to plot the flow of page selections by users. I have the following sample data :

SessionIDTimeTypeUserPage
720526/04/2019 09:06Open91Home
720526/04/2019 09:06Activated sheet91Inventory
720526/04/2019 09:27Activated sheet91Sales
720526/04/2019 09:33Activated sheet91Customers
720526/04/2019 09:37Close91League Table
753326/04/2019 15:33Open92Home
753326/04/2019 15:34Activated sheet92Inventory
753326/04/2019 15:34Close92Sales

I need the Sankey chart to show the flow of navigation through our website.  So per user we can see the flow by session ID how they use our site.

Any advice / tips appreciated.

Phil

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Phil,

In order to create a Sankey diagram with your data, you'd need to flatten the table and transform it in such a way that the first N pages (as many as you care to track) are listed in N separate fields. For example:

Session User    Page1    Page2          Page3    Page4 

7205         91      Home    Inventory  Sales      Customers

Then you can use the 4 Page fields as 4 Dimensions, and count(distinct SessionID) as a Measure.

In order to flatten the table, you need to reload it with the use of functions Peek() and Previous(), that will help you determine the first page, the second page, etc... You can read about Peek() and Previous() in a variety of blog articles, or in my book "QlikView Your Business".

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Masters Summit for Qlik - coming to Washington, DC and to Amsterdam this fall!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Phil,

In order to create a Sankey diagram with your data, you'd need to flatten the table and transform it in such a way that the first N pages (as many as you care to track) are listed in N separate fields. For example:

Session User    Page1    Page2          Page3    Page4 

7205         91      Home    Inventory  Sales      Customers

Then you can use the 4 Page fields as 4 Dimensions, and count(distinct SessionID) as a Measure.

In order to flatten the table, you need to reload it with the use of functions Peek() and Previous(), that will help you determine the first page, the second page, etc... You can read about Peek() and Previous() in a variety of blog articles, or in my book "QlikView Your Business".

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Masters Summit for Qlik - coming to Washington, DC and to Amsterdam this fall!

prees959
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks so much for your reply Oleg! I understand now.

Would it be possible to order them in time that they moved between pages ?

Thanks again,

Phil
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Phil,

yes, of course - when you reload and flatten your data table, you should sort them chronologically, in order to get the correct travel path.

Did you want to sort them based on the duration of their page visit? That's a valid analysis, but I don't think it should be presented in a sankey diagram, because it will look confusing - the sankey diagram shows movements "from" and "to", not so much the durations of each page visit...

Hopefully it makes sense to you...

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

prees959
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Oleg,

That makes sense - many thanks for your input and advice!

Phil