Table 3
Table 5
Chair 3
Chair 7
Sink 1
Sink 5
Door 1
etc etc

each product can have repeating areas as shown above.

i now want to include a new grouping field in my dataset to group certain Areas for each Product. i need to pull in a excel file with the new field named "Position" :

Product Area Position
Table 1 1A
Table 3 1A
Table 5 1F
Chair 3 1A
Chair 7 2B
Sink 1 1A
Sink 5 2B
etc etc etc

i want to be able to be able to see what "areas" are in what "Position" for each of my "Products".

Ive tried doing a simple Concatenation on my original dataset with my new excel file:

Concatenate(MyData)
load
Product, Area, Position

FROM
[..\..\..\.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

but im getting all nulls in my Position field.

what is the best way to do this?

thanks

Labels (2)
12 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Why would you have to remove it? There's no problem with having the same field name in multiple tables when that field is a key... in fact, that's how Qlik is meant to work.

JohnSamuel123
Creator
Creator

because if i keep it in both tables, then the tables will have 2 fields with the same name and this will cause an synthetic issue i thought?

e.g:

JohnSamuel123_0-1656340977576.png

i thought i could only have one field in each table with the same values, similar to a join statement?

Or
MVP
MVP

Synthetic keys are not a problem. They're just Qlik's way of creating one key from multiple fields. If you prefer, you can concatenate the two underlying fields and use that as a key instead of keeping the original fields. However, you can't create a correct join by eliminating one of the key fields entirely...