Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kehanopni
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone recommend an automated Qlikview scraping solution?

My job involves pulling data from Qlikview and compiling it in Excel, and it's a slow, frustrating process.
I'm considering writing a Python application to do the pasting/ exporting/ saving every night, then having my Excel applications reference the saved files. Considering my constraints, does this sound reasonable? Are there any more efficient methods to pulling data out of the dashboards?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

You did not mention what level of access you have to the QlikView apps in question.

1) If you have access to the apps, you might be able to modify them to output the data you need.

2) If you can create an app that uses either your output from 1) or you can just build an app on the various data sources, that should do it.

If you are intent on using python and are looking for help doing screen scraping then stack overflow might be a good source of information.

-ws

marcus_sommer

QlikView supports VBS (macros) for such jobs and there various postings here in the community about it. Further there is the APIGuide.qvw with a lot of examples what you could do with it.

Beside this you should consider to use NPrinting for larger export tasks. It will cause some costs but compared with the own efforts to develop and maintain own logic it might be much cheaper in the long-term.

Further simplifying might be not to export into Excel else storing the relevant data as csv from the script-side and using them as external sources within the target -Excel.