Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lopazrich402
Contributor
Contributor

Best practices (data warehouse+Qlik)

Hi,

I’m a BA for the Data Warehouse and the Qlik Apps for our company. I just recently switched companies and at my new company, they try to solve almost everything with Qlik Apps, but in all my classes and/or certificate programs I was taught that the front end tool should be ‘dumb’. The data logic should be in the data warehouse. The consultants for Qlik think otherwise and try to transform in qvd. What is the best practice in your company? routerwebaid

Labels (2)
2 Replies
robertcur
Contributor II
Contributor II

@lopazrich402 I guess different people have different opinions because each one has their own agenda.  I've been in the Qlik game for 15 odd years now although your I have an opinion on your question (will answer below), if really always depends on various factors.  Some companies like to build everything into Sense (or View in past) and others want to make Sense as "dumb" as possible (If I may use your word).

My opinion is always, "horses for causes".  I'm a great advocate for smaller Qlik Sense apps, based on a specific business problem.  This ensures quick reload, quick response, etc.  If you have a scenario where you need lots more detail in your Sense app, then I suggest a second (more detailed) app.  First one is more a dashboard feel with let's say monthly figures.  The second app maybe detailed to daily figures, etc.  Then there is also direct query, but that is a discussion for another day.

If you do have Qlik Compose for example, and make use of Data Marts, you can build your logic in there.  This helps to flatten (lighten) the Qlik Sense app, which helps with performance.  But at the end of the day, from source to target, the processing needs to happen somewhere.  Finally, I will rather go for the "dumb" Sense app, especially when you want users to build own sheets and make use of the library.  

Hope this helps

Nanda_Ravindra
Support
Support

@lopazrich402 What type of Qlik App are you referring to? The QVD is for Qlik Sense. Perhaps you posted your question on the wrong form? Let me know so I can move this post to the right channel.

Thanks,

Nanda