Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Automatically insert a variable whenever a new script_tab is opened?

Hi,

we have a "Template_QlikView" that should be used whenever a new app is to be created that has a number of standard_elements that should be used everywhere.

Whenever something new comes along and I think of some best way of doing it, I try to implement it there.

=> The newest thing I have is a variable that inserts a few lines to make the beginning of a new tab (in the script) more apparent when
      used in the Debugger or in the log. (it has to be inserted at the very end of a tab, though, to appear BEFORE the automatically
      inserted tab_name)

=> Is there any way I can set the editor to insert that variable_call at the very end of any new script_tab that I add automatically, like
     a template in MS_Office?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I don't think that there is a possibility to do that automated. But you could create a complete script-tab template as external script and insert this in a additionally step (2 clicks) - script-file could look like this:

/*---------------------------[ Tab X ]--------------------------------------------------------------

Goal: ....

Description: .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

// place your statements here ...

/*---------------------------[ End ]--------------------------------------------------------------*/

IncludeYourTabHighlithingVariable;

- Marcus

View solution in original post

8 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I don't think that there is a possibility to do that automated. But you could create a complete script-tab template as external script and insert this in a additionally step (2 clicks) - script-file could look like this:

/*---------------------------[ Tab X ]--------------------------------------------------------------

Goal: ....

Description: .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

// place your statements here ...

/*---------------------------[ End ]--------------------------------------------------------------*/

IncludeYourTabHighlithingVariable;

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

that would be an idea. I had been thinking about sth like this a while ago. Let's see.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

can anyone tell me why the script_editor even in the most up-to-date version (11.2 SR9 or so, I had the newest client installed) cannot recognize that variable call

(in the line where there is just >>  $(v_Tabchange)  <<)

=> That is underlined in red and so is the next LOAD statement though it is absolutely correct.

That's not a big problem as the LOAD works well. It is just a little bit annoying.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

it's only a inadequacy from the editor not to recognize valid code.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

you're right. That happens if you put a valid line of code wholesale into a variable and then execute that by putting that variable in the $() and evaluating it. I have that in another place with delete_variables.

I also had it quite a while ago with the >> -= << in set_expressions - that was underlined, so no one could have said if the code was otherwise correct or not, so I replaced that with a slightly more lengthy expression that the editor recognizes.

But when going through the code in the Debugger and looking for errors, it is a bit irritating.

Why hasn't Qlik issued a patch for that yet?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Is there any way I can access the name given to a script_tab?

That info must be somewhere for QlikView inserts it into the log automatically. But can it be accessed?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

outside from the script you could read the script per macro and identify and count the tabs but inside from the script I don't believe that there is a way. The script is from the API-side one piece and the tab-splitting is only a window-feature from editor.

I use for this reason: let vTabName = 'MyTab';

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Okay,

thanks!

Of course, with the help of an additional variable, it would be possible to include in the TRACE statement the name of the next-to-come tab.

That would be a good way to go. The issue is just that every such  change in the "general standard of scripting" - meaning things that should actually have been done from the beginning - is quite a lot of effort to roll out.

I will give it a think, however.

Best regards,

DataNibbler