cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qvdatadude
Contributor II
Contributor II

Publisher Loop & Reduce Dynamic Document CAL Assignment

I have a very large .QVW dashboard which I plan on using Publisher loop and reduce to split into multiple smaller dashboards.  I know that I can turn on "Dynamic CAL Assignment", but I still have to manually allocate a number of CALs and toggle this option for each and every .QVW file.

Since Publisher will be creating many .QVW files, is there a way to automatically allocate Document CALs to each new .QVW file, and also dynamically assign CALs to users? I need to streamline this process so I don't have to always manually maintain and assign licenses.

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

There isn't an out of the box way of automatically enable 'Dynamic CAL assignment'. It's a global setting in the QMC. I don't know of any APIs that will allow for automation for that setting. It is not mandatory to specify the number of CALs you wish to allocate to a document. If you leave the field blank and have Dynamic CAL assignment enabled as long as a Document CAL is available it will automatically be assigned to the user when they open the dashboard in AccessPoint.

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.

View solution in original post

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @qvdatadude,

This post may be helpful to you https://community.qlik.com/t5/Documents/QlikView-Management-API-2-Export-Add-Delete-Document-CALs/ta... which details how to add Doc CALs via the QMS API. You could then potentially use Supporting Tasks > External Programs to call a .bat file.  If you need further assistance with configuring something like this you can reach out to your Qlik Account Manager to engage with Qlik Consulting, or perhaps  @Peter_Cammaert may have a suggestion.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

@qvdatadude  Once you enable Dynamic CAL assignment you shouldn't have to manually assign CALs to new QVWs unless you a limited number of CALs you want per dashboard. However, if you have users that use multiple dashboards you shouldn't have to worry about running out of CALs. 

Dynamic CAL Assignment

If this option is used, a new document CAL will automatically be granted to a user connecting to this QlikView Server for the first time, as long as there are available document CALs to assign. To allow the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, tick this check box. To deny the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, untick this check box.

qvdatadude
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Lucas thanks for your help.

Your answer is helpful, but doesn't completely solve my question. is there a way to automatically enable "Dynamic CAL assignment" for each new .QVW which is created by Publisher loop & reduce? Is it mandatory to specify the number of CALs allocated to a document, or will it be dynamically assigned if the field is left blank?

Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

There isn't an out of the box way of automatically enable 'Dynamic CAL assignment'. It's a global setting in the QMC. I don't know of any APIs that will allow for automation for that setting. It is not mandatory to specify the number of CALs you wish to allocate to a document. If you leave the field blank and have Dynamic CAL assignment enabled as long as a Document CAL is available it will automatically be assigned to the user when they open the dashboard in AccessPoint.

qvdatadude
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That's unfortunate that there isn't a better way to automate the publishing process. If I end up with 50 .QVW files created by loop and reduce, I'll have to manually go through each one in QMC to toggle on Dynamic CAL assignment. Furthermore, if a new value in the loop/reduce field is added without my knowledge, the .QVW dashboard won't be available to users until I can allocate CALs which could delay information sharing.

Thanks again.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @qvdatadude,

This post may be helpful to you https://community.qlik.com/t5/Documents/QlikView-Management-API-2-Export-Add-Delete-Document-CALs/ta... which details how to add Doc CALs via the QMS API. You could then potentially use Supporting Tasks > External Programs to call a .bat file.  If you need further assistance with configuring something like this you can reach out to your Qlik Account Manager to engage with Qlik Consulting, or perhaps  @Peter_Cammaert may have a suggestion.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!