Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avoid "other" in block diagrams

Hello!

We have an issue with a block diagram and which data it shows.

It seems that beyond a certain amount of different elements in the first dimension the remaining elements are substitued by an "Other" block. It might also be that it happens when the share of the remaining elements gets too small (compared to the whole). Something like that they constitute only for less than 2,5% of all elements with regards to the first formula. I am aware of the diagram settings, which restricts the dimensions and optionally substitutes the rest with an "Other" entry. But they are off and it still happens. The appearing "Other" block is not selectable, which makes it even more frustrating.

Is it a bug or a feature? Any ideas of how to get around this?

Thank you!

Regards,

Sandro

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sandro,

You mean "Show Others" is not checked and yet others is shown in your chart/diagram?

sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

try writting the statement in Script

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Indeed. I switched to English program language to make sure we are talking about the same things...

Under Properties/Dimension limits/...

"[ ] Restrict which values ..."   is off

Even "[ ] Show others" at the bottom is OFF (additional to being inactive anyway).

Still showing. When I switch it on, the settings overrides the "unwanted 'Other'" to a degree, but at some point it still appears.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please elaborate, I can't follow

Not applicable
Author

If possible, can you share a sample app?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sure... I am a little surprised by how easy it was to recreate the symptom, here it goes.

In the sample application: If you show only types A through N all is fine. If you select A through O, it "breaks" and switches to only showing the first (biggest) three and "Other".

Looks like a combination of too many elements and too little a contribution to the whole of some of them does the trick. Whatever the algorithm is, I don't want it 🙂

Thank you! 🙂

P.S. I am having trouble with attaching my sample app (upload gets stuck).

Here is the recipe to creating it:

1. Loadscript:

load * inline [

TypeA, ValueA

A, 80

B, 5

C,3

D,1

E,1

F,1

G,1

H,1

I,1

J,1

K,1

L,1

M,1

N,1

O,1

P,1

Q,1

R,1

S,1

T,1

];

2. Add block diagramm

3. Dimension: TypeA

4. Formula: ValueA

That's it. Let me know, if that doesn't recreate the symptom easily for you. Then I'll have to look at my upload problems

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sandro,

PFA. Although I am using version 10 of qlikview, but that should not be a problem.

The key is to increase "Maximum number of blocks" and decrease the "Lower limit on Block Area" in Properties--Presentation tab.

Let me know if this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Shyamal!

Your idea sounded great and it would make sense to have those options there. But I can't find that in my presentation tab. (I attached a link to a screenshot here, but that seemed to result in moderation and after about a week of waiting for the post to be approved, I deleted the link).

We are currently using QV 11.0, but I'll be converting the applications to QV 11.2 today. Did those options get "lost" in during the upgrades?

Sandro

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sandro,

I just checked in QV11 and unfortunately did not find these options there.

Since I am not using QV11, so not sure about achieving the same in Qv 11.(There might be some option but I am not aware). But I searched the community and found the below, might be of some help to you:

http://community.qlik.com/message/323467