Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

BINARY load with dynamic file name

Hi,

I have an environment where a UX.QVW needs to import the data structure from a Data.QVW using a binary load.

That would be very easy if the QlikMart file always had the same name - but it doesn't. The reasons are a little harder to explain, but for the purpose of simplicity, let's assume it's just a YearMonth suffix, for example Data_201505.QVW.

I need to get the BIINARY LOAD code right. I cannot use any other script sentences before to calculate the filename, so I expect dollar sign to be the solution, but cannot get it right. Something like:

BINARY QM_$(=year(today()*100+month(today())).qvw

... just does not work... it seems that the dollar sign with equal sign is not properly evaluated. It does work in an expression in a text box for example, but when debugging it in the load script, the $(=...) just evaluates to empty string or worse to '(internal error)'.

There might already be a solution in the community but I cannot find it...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

- J

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

I think with another .qvw, all files in same dir

a1.qvw           // make an include with a dynamic binary load

DIRECTORY;

let name = 'binary a_' & date(today(), 'YYYYMM') & '.qvw;';

tmp: load 0 as [$(name)]

AutoGenerate 0;

store tmp into a1.inc (txt);

output is a1.inc

1.png

a2.qvw           // binary load

$(Must_Include=a1.inc);

View solution in original post

8 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You expression should work if you do this:

BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())&Date(Today(),'MM')).qvw;

maxgro
MVP
MVP

I think with another .qvw, all files in same dir

a1.qvw           // make an include with a dynamic binary load

DIRECTORY;

let name = 'binary a_' & date(today(), 'YYYYMM') & '.qvw;';

tmp: load 0 as [$(name)]

AutoGenerate 0;

store tmp into a1.inc (txt);

output is a1.inc

1.png

a2.qvw           // binary load

$(Must_Include=a1.inc);

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Petter and thanks for the feedbackk, unfortunately it doesn't work, I'm consistently getting the same behavior in any expression I try with $(=...).

If used in the binary sentence, a "file not found" error pops up, and the filename is just as if the $(=...) returned empty string, see:

09-06-2015 21-23-01.jpg

My original expression had the same behavior.

I've tried putting it into a variable like so:

///$tab Main

set x = BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())*100 + month(Today())).qvw;

It does not work either, in the debugging trace is shows that the dollar sign evaluates to blank:

set x = BINARY_QM_.qvw

Whereas if i put in a Text Box in a sheet, the same expression:

='BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())*100 + month(Today())).qvw'

I get the expected result:

BINARY_QM_201506.qvw

Did I miss anything and the $(=...) expansion does NOT work on the script? If so... how can I achieve a binary load from dynamic filenames?

Thanks,

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It just tried the expression that it fully evaluated into a string that should give the filename... but let me give it a try with a real BINARY quickly and I'll come back to you...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't think the "=" within $() is a technique available in script. You can however reference a variable if you can pass the variable in.

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Very nice trick / workaround Massimo!

I elaborated on your idea, since having the binary load on an external INC file was not a very secure strategy (a missing or deleted file would result in a unsecure UX document)

What I finally did is:

a) The DATA_YYYYMM.qvw creates, on its own reloading, the a1.inc file. (using Massimo's code)

b) On the hidden script of the UX, i'm doing a BINARY Data_$(=Must_include=a1.inc). That way if the file is wrong it just won't load at all, keeping security at bay.

Thx,

- J

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Rob, thanks... that clarifies the behavior! A pity .

I should mark your answer as correct, for future or other people's reference... but I think Massimo above came out with a workaround to overcome the script syntax limitation...

Thanks again,

chetanpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cold  you please share your Qlick files