Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

CAL Queries

Hi,

We have QlikView Personal Edition for Windows Version 9.00.7676.9 SR 6 which seems to have been purchased with 1 User Cal and 40 Document Cals.

As far as I know, I have User Cal rights - I can design reports.

Do I have Admin rights?

I don't know how to tell, and our IT team do not seem to be able to show me.

As the "Application Owner" the onus is on me to manage the User Access, and I want to start to roll out QV as a usable tool by publishing documents to other users.

If my understanding is correct, I would manage security from scripts within each document, so I can create, for example, a single sales document and issue to the entire team, each salesperson being restricted to the appropriate information.

Do I (and if so HOW do I) assign the Document User rights to recipients? (I have read a couple of discussions that seem to distinguish between assigned users and session users, so this would need clarifying.)

My background is not in IT, so please use as little jargon as possible if you can help... I won't object to being treated like an idiot!

Finally, I have seen mention of Reference Manuals.

I have Designer I and II and Developer I and II, but neither of these seem to cover this.

Am I missing some documentation?

Thanks... as always.

Dave

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dave,

There are two subjects here.

One regards QlikView Server. Licenses are leased from the server to the user, and if you are leasing a license, you should not see any longer "Personal Edition", rather than "You are leasing a license from YOURSERVERNAME". So first of all make sure the User CAL is assigned to you. To do that, you need to go to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, QlikView Server, Client Access Licenses (CALs), Assigned CALs, and you (or the IT people) needs you add your user in the form YOURDOMAIN\YOURUSER, alick on Assign CAL and Apply.

Now you need to lease the license to open documents with the license. Open QlikView, go to the Start Page, Open in Server, expand "Show Options" and specify Logon as Specified user to the QlikView Server, click on Open >> and you will be prompted for password. You should see in the upper part of the Start Page how "Personal Edition" changes to "You are leasing..." as mentioned above.

In the Server, once the documents are in their corresponding folders, you need to assign Document licenses to users, going to the QEMC, Documents, click on the document, Document CALs, set the number of users you are going to assign and use the form DOMAIN\USERNAME and add all the users you need. Click on Apply when finished.

Now, although all users will be able to see the AccessPoint, only those who have a license assigned will be able to open the file, otherwise they will get an error like "There is no DOCUMENT CAL assigned to this user".

The second issue regards to the security of the information, meaning who can see what? All users can see all records? If so, then you don't need to do anything else. If not, you need to add a section access.

Please check this post and this post, among many others you can search for in the QlikCommunity, on how to create a section access. Read this document as well.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Many Thanks Miguel,

I agree with you about section access... that seems straightforward to me, although I still have to do the workbook exercises to fully familiarise myself with this.

I will study your response fully, and see what I need to get to grips with regarding CALs.

I have much reading to do!!!

8-)

Dave

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dave,

Re your question about Reference Manuals. There are two PDFs you should use. "Qlikview Reference Manual.pdf" should be found in the Program Files\Qlikview\Documentation.

"Qlikview Server Reference Manual.pdf" will be found in the same location, but on the server disk.

You can also download both manuals from http://download.qlik.com.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the guidance, Rob.

Dave