Did you mean: 
jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III

Calculated variable in expression with set analysis

Hi,

I have a variable in my script:

Let vValue = 'Avg((Points-Target)/Difference)';

What I would like to do, is use this in an expression with set analysis. For example:

=ONLY({<Type={'A'}>} $(vValue))

But this just gives me a '-' null value.

If I just put =$(vValue) and then select 'A' from a filter for Type, it works fine. So why can't I do this within my expression?

I need to keep my 'A' dimension within the expression, as I plan on using several expressions within the chart, with the appropriate dimension coming from a different field each time.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You could try this:

=ONLY({<Type={'A'}>} aggr($(vValue), Type))

but if it didn't work we will need some more context where it should be used and which data should return which result.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

13 Replies
sasikanth
Master
Master

HI,

Try like this

Avg({<Type={'A'}>} ((Points-Target)/Difference))

marcus_sommer

With this approach you nest two aggregations without an aggr-function which is mandatory for it. You may change to something like this:

=ONLY({<Type={'A'}>} aggr($(vValue), Dim1, Dim2))

whereby Dim1 and Dim2 are placeholder for the dimensions which are related to this calculation - normally those dimensions which are used within your chart.

- Marcus

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Try with Parameterised Variable. May be like:

vValue = 'Avg(' & $1 & '(Points-Target)/Difference))'

Then call the variable like:

=$(vValue({<Type={'A'}>} ))

Edit: corrected a brace

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Sasi, but I need to use the variable rather than the calculation.

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marcus,

I did read an article on the aggr function, but wasn't sure it applied to my situation. Quite possibly I'm wrong about that!

I'm slightly confused on the Dim1, Dim2 part - Type='A' is the dimension I want to use. So do I just repeat this in place of Dim 1, Dim2?

Thanks,
Jess

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Tresesco,

Well the expression is accepted, but it gives me the same value as if I didn't have the {<Type={'A'}>} part in there.

It just evaluates '=$(vValue)'

Thanks,
Jess

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Yes. If you don't include the set part, it would evaluate the average in the context. What do you expect the output to be without the set part passed?

marcus_sommer

You could try this:

=ONLY({<Type={'A'}>} aggr($(vValue), Type))

but if it didn't work we will need some more context where it should be used and which data should return which result.

- Marcus

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

With just =$(vValue) I get a figure of 10 - this is the value for 72 participants.

What I want, is the 'vValue' (which should be 5) for only the participants who are included under Type 'A' - this is just 39 of the participants.

If I put 'Type' as the dimension, and 'vValue' as the expression, I get '5' next to Type 'A'.

So this is the result I want, but I cannot use the regular dimension field - instead I need to include my dimension in the expression.