Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadgedee
Contributor II
Contributor II

Can Straight Table be sorted only by an expression column in Qlikview?

I  am using Straight Table in qlik view which has few dimension columns and one expression column.

e.g. Dimension Columns say- Manufacturer, Model, Model Info ( for Device inventory)

Expression column is simply max ( Installation date)

I was trying to sort table by Max(Installation Date) in descending order.

Even though I was selecting sort for expression column table is still not sorting data as I wanted.

Is there any solution on how to do it?

Thanks,

Deepali

6 Replies
jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

Make sure you promote the expression all the way to the top of the list of columns in the sort tab, and make sure every other column has all of its sort options unchecked. If that doesn't work let me know.

EDIT: Adding this just in case: Don't select the 'expression' sort option for the dimensions, only use a sort option for the actual expression column. The expression sort option is for if you want to define a sort order that is not in the list (through an expression).

gadgedee
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry Jenus, It's not working.

I have only 3 dimensions and 1 expression.

For dimensions, In Sort tab I have selected none for Primary as well as Secondary Sort.Sort By Expression setting.PNG

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi

You can always tick the sort by express box and add your expression in the box. box.

Normally i would not work in Web view. If you come out of web view and go into properties, Sort. You can then just promote your expression to the top of the sort order.

Mark

gadgedee
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Mark,

I tried doing as you said- Hope this is what you meant. But it's not working either.

Sort By Expression-Mark.PNG

Also, I am being end user can create this object in Extra sheet provided in web view only.

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Deepali,

I would advise trying to add that sort expression, within the sort tab of the first dimension.

Mark

gadgedee
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Mark,

It is not working.

It is working like this -It is grouping by each dimension (say Manufacturer) and then sorting for each group i.e. each dimension.

But I am looking for a sort on complete table based on Expression.

Thanks,