cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing display/label of Unique ID field

Hi,

I've got a unique ID field that I use to uniquely describe a record in a dataset. I'm using a tablebox object to display the Unique ID along with other identifying information about the record. If I remove the unique ID, some records will collapse into a single one because they contain the same information - I want to be sure all records are displayed. Further, I want users to be able to click on this Unique ID to show a single record - otherwise, users have to click on multiple other fields to filter down to a single record.

Unfortunately the Unique ID is a long concatenated ugly string that is libel to confuse users. I'd like to keep the Unique ID in the tablebox object, but display it as something generic (such as 'click me', 'detail', etc). Is there a way to change the display value without modifying the data itself?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You could replace this ID with recno() or rowno() or an autonumber(ID).

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could replace this ID with recno() or rowno() or an autonumber(ID).

- Marcus

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

You could also use a Dual

Dual('Details',AutoNumber(UniqueID)) as UniqueID

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi stigchel,

This is super close to what I'm looking for, but unfortunately it still collapses my Table Box values into a single "Click Me" value.

Do you know of a way to expand the table box to show all values (based on the AutoNumber(UniqueID) part) but keep the display as "click me"?

marcus_sommer

Just use a pure number like suggested above. Is there any reason why the field should display something like 'Details' for all values?

Another way might be to display just a part of the value by moving the unique part into another line. This means something like:

Dual('Details' & chr(10) & chr(10) & AutoNumber(UniqueID),

AutoNumber(UniqueID)) as UniqueID

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey thanks for the advice all. I decided to go with the auto-number via recno() and use my bug ugly string identifier as an internal reference

Thanks for the help