Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Connect to Oracle database

Hello,

my first step to connect QV to an oracle database.

The database is an tdb on a server, using oracle 10g.

What is the right way to connect:

OLE DB or ODBC.

By using OLE DB there is the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Provider for OLE DB.

in both I can define the database but not the server-field is unelectable.

By using the ODBC I can't see any tables or views, so I think I did something wrong by define server and database.

Is there an example?

Regards

Martin

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

To be honest, I don't know exactly, what is the best choice.

OLEDB is supposed to be more recent than ODBC.
Personaly I used to create an Oracle connexion a few weeks ago, I used the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle.
But I could change the server name on the first configuration windows

Hopes it helps

Regards

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You will need to install the Orcale client from Orcale.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

I've got it.

The important thing is to configure the database as server/database.location

Not applicable
Author

Dear Martin

I did it without any problem but as metionned, you need to install the client and be sure the TNSName.ora is properly configured.

To test, just create an ODBC and test with user and password the connection with the Test button. If this is working, then use the odbc ( I don't have any preference, but I used ODBC as it was working at first shot)

Rgds,

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I´m using an ODBC as connector to an Oracle database.

We are running the jobs via QMC but now and then the jobs doesn´t run. The same job works fine one night but stops another.

If I reload the job manually I´m asked to verify the Userid & passw and then the job is running.

Any idea anybody?

Thanks!

Johan

Not applicable
Author

Are you sure the password you used in your qvw is correct ?

Did you try to rewrite the connection string with the correct password ? (using the wizard) ?

Usually login windo appear when Qlikview is not able to connect correctly.

Rgds,

Sébastien

Not applicable
Author

I guess that the password is correct since I only confirm it with the OK button when it pops up.

To be honest I copy / past the syntax for the ODBC connections (with the auto generated parameters for user id and pw) between my applications.

I´ll try manually add it application by application.

Thanks!

Johan

Not applicable
Author

You're welcome, but normally just copying the CONNECT string between application works...

Keep us informed on your results.