Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Copying and renaming an excel file

Morning,

I am attempting to achieve the subject line.

My current script is as below, what am I missing?  It executed but nothing happens.

//COPY yesterdays PE2 list to the Archive folder for backup
execute cmd.exe /c copy $(vDataSourceExcel)SBDCP MICAP Summary Report.xlsx $(vDataSourceBackup)

I know this won't rename the file but I was doing this step by step, advise on step 2 would also be appreciated.

Thank You

Graham

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

Aunt Google found something:

A seemingly undocumented trick is to put a * at the end of the destination - then xcopy will copy as a file, like so

xcopy c:\source\file.txt c:\destination\newfile.txt* 

unquote

alternatively

Actually xcopy does not ask you if the original file exists, but if you want to put it in a new folder named Shapes.atc, or in the folder Support (which is what you want.

To prevent xcopy from asking this, just tell him the destination folder, so there's no ambiguity:

xcopy /s/y "J:\Old path\Shapes.atc" "C:\Documents and Settings\his name\Support" 

If you want to change the filename in destination just use copy (which is more adapted than xcopy when copying files):

copy /y "J:\Old path\Shapes.atc" "C:\Documents and Settings\his name\Support\Shapes-new.atc 
unqote

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I've had some success doing things differently.

I have set a variable with my 2 file locations and file names and run the variable further on in the script as follows:

execute cmd.exe /C xcopy $(vDataBackup) /Y;

This works fine apart from the command prompt ops up and forces me to declare a file or directory (F or D).  when U type F it the executed fine and my file is renamed and copied.  However I want to schedule this overnight and don't wish to have to intervene..........thoughts.

prieper
Master II
Master II

Aunt Google found something:

A seemingly undocumented trick is to put a * at the end of the destination - then xcopy will copy as a file, like so

xcopy c:\source\file.txt c:\destination\newfile.txt* 

unquote

alternatively

Actually xcopy does not ask you if the original file exists, but if you want to put it in a new folder named Shapes.atc, or in the folder Support (which is what you want.

To prevent xcopy from asking this, just tell him the destination folder, so there's no ambiguity:

xcopy /s/y "J:\Old path\Shapes.atc" "C:\Documents and Settings\his name\Support" 

If you want to change the filename in destination just use copy (which is more adapted than xcopy when copying files):

copy /y "J:\Old path\Shapes.atc" "C:\Documents and Settings\his name\Support\Shapes-new.atc 
unqote
Not applicable
Author

Thank You Peter,

It was as easy as just using copy!

Cheers

Graham