cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Creating a percentage expression within custom user tables

Hoping someone can help here. I have a dashboard with a straight and a pivot table which users can customise the dimensions by clicking on a button (actioning a variable and using the conditional function to display). What I'd like to do is reach an expression to enable those tables to display a percentage. This is simple enough when there is a single field, but when there is more than a single field e.g. gender and department it gets tricky. I'd like to, for example, be able to calculate the gender split per department. My current method calculates the percentage across all departments.Is there a a way to identify the displayed fields using an expression?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Matt

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share a sample so that we can take a look at what you have

marwen_garwachi
Creator II
Creator II

why don't you use Groups in dimension ?

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I haven't used Groups as I need to allow users to add as many columns as they wish to both a straight and pivot table.

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I'll try to put something together, the problem is that its deeply embedded in a large dashboard and its kind of tricky to extract one without including sensitive data

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I've put together a rough sample which should show what I mean. Currently it will display the percentage spread for the entire subset of data. What I'm looking for is a way to find out the percentage, for example, of male/female students per school (with each adding up to 100%, i.e. 45% F 55% M).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

sunny_talwar

In your current structure, you can have 6 dimensions what would be the expected percentage when School, Subject and Gender are selected? Is it going to be lowest's dimensions % over the next level? Or do you only imagine to see just 2 dimensions in total?

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

In the full dashboard we have around 40 fields which the user can add to the table. Obviously they would never add as many as that as there are also selection menus to narrow the dataset. Most likely two dimensions at one time. So if we had school as the 'parent' dimension and gender as the 'child' dimension, I would like to find out what each school's %age for male and female would be. Basically so each school would have a total percentage of 100% for gender.

Any ideas how to approach this?

sunny_talwar

Check if this approach seems like something you can used