Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicholasP
Contributor
Contributor

Cumulative Sum on specific rows

Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I apologize if this has been asked before (actually, I couldn't find any proper solution) or if I'm missing to share some info.

Anyway, my problem is the following, I have a table with some data:

DATA

and I would like to cumulate its values based on a "day" criteria. In other words, I'm trying to get this output:

DATA2 days3 days4 days5 days
3 6  
410 10 
5   15
836 36 
9 45  
1055  55

so, this means that I will need to cumulate starting always from the top of "DATA" (value=1) but skipping rows based on headers.

I hope my problem is clear

Thanks a lot for all your support!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

A crude script solution could be like:

Load
	DATA,AccDATA,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),2)=0, AccDATA) as Day2,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),3)=0, AccDATA) as Day3,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),4)=0, AccDATA) as Day4,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),5)=0, AccDATA) as Day5,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),6)=0, AccDATA) as Day6,
	If(Mod(RowNo(),7)=0, AccDATA) as Day7 ;
Load 
	DATA,
	If(RowNo()=1,DATA, RangeSum(Peek('AccDATA'), DATA)) as AccDATA
;
Load * Inline [
DATA
];
Drop Field AccDATA;

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

Can you clarify the rule?

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉
NicholasP
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yes sure.

The idea is to cumulate "DATA" values, always from the top ("DATA" = 1). Each new column represents the frequency of the cumulate action. 

For example, under "2days" column it means I have to cumulate data from the top every 2 days. So, it would be:

• 1day nothing
  • 2day 1+2=3
  • 3day nothing
  • 4day 1+2+3+4=10 
  • and so on...

(there was an error on the table, now it's right)

Taoufiq_Zarra

other questions :

the columns 2days->5days are fixed? always 4?

if I follow this logic I get for the 2days the values in the table below, how did you remove the other values and leave only what you display?

DATA2 days3 days4 days5 days
410 10 
515  15
836 36 
1055  55
Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

tresesco
MVP
MVP

I have never seen a data analytics problem like this so far. But not a problem, we are here to learn/know new things. Coming back to your problem. How far can your data go? How do you decide that you have to stop at Day 5 here? Also could you explain your business case for this?

NicholasP
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for your comment. 

You got the idea, now my problem is removing the other values and display only values that you see in my table.

I can do it manually as in my example but I've got thousands of rows and they will increase in the future.

Taoufiq_Zarra

how to remove them? the rule ?

and 2->5 are fixed ?

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

NicholasP
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Actually, it can go over 5. It was just to give an idea of my problem. Let's say this since our thoughts are based on a calendar we are considering weeks (from every day till every 7 days), months (will be our next scope)

My business case is the following:

-values under "DATA" are the request of notifications that we receive (so they are not that linear). Every day new people are asking to get notified. 

So what we are trying to understand is how often we should notify them sand since every day there are new members we will need to consider both new and old requests. A the end we will have a big table with all this information that will help us decide.

Hope this help

Thanks a lot

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Taoufiq,

The  rule part is probably like:

they would appear in rows where they are divisible by the corresponding day number

But your 2->5 query remains to be answered.

NicholasP
Contributor
Contributor
Author

2 -> 5 are fixed in my example.

But this number could increase if we want to evaluate new options.

Right now we are working on a range that goes from every day till every 7 days (so 1->7)