Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data misaligned after inclusion of Calculated Dimenion

I have been trying to get the straight table working.

In the qvw file I have included a sheet("Without Comments (Correct)") that contains the correct values for the various fields and another sheet ("With Comments (Erroneous)"), which after adding in the calculated dimension, the values somehow appears incorrect.

Calculated Dimension: =if(Topic=Remark,Comments)

The idea was that if the value from "Topic" and "Remark" matches, i would want to extract the corresponding "Comment" for that "Remark".

I have included the tables (data source) and the qvw file used for this analysis.

Thanks for the help.

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Look at the data. Create a straight table with the dimensions Topic, Remark and Sentiment and as expression TextCount(Topic). Then select Events/Campaigns. You will see that if the value of the Remark is also Events/Campaigns that the TextCount of Topic is 4 and that the Sentiment is Positive. This is correctly displayed in your straight table on the first tab. If you think this is wrong then you need to correct your source data.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Thanks for the suggestion. You are right, the value is incorrect. It seems like the problem lies in the way I design the "Remark" field.

I have tried using a straight table with

Dimension: Topic, Sentiment

Expression: Textcount(Topic)

and the output looks correct. But the moment adding Remark to the dimension, the results looks weird.

Any suggestions on how I can design the source a little better to achieve the objective?

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Have you tried creating a table box for the data you are having trouble with, I often find this is a quick and easy way to see what is wrong with my data and why I am getting unexpected results.

Helen

Not applicable
Author

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found out that its the way my data is constructed that caused this problem.

It has been resolved after I corrected the data source.