Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Define Specific Time periods

Hello,

I am a new QlikView user and this is my first Qlik project ever.

I have a data set that contains monthly values for certain measures (costs, hit-rates, miles driven,...).

I am trying to calculate KPIs at the end of fiscal quarters. The KPIs are calculated using simple calculation on the measures (mostly averaging).

However, the KPIs are 12-months averages. So, for example, the value for KPI "x" in Q1-2016:

Average(x) = From Jun-16 to Jul-15

I have found good answers about how to create a master calendar and fiscal quarters, but I need to create "alternate quarters" that contain the last 12 months leading to the final month of the quarter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Alif

4 Replies
sunny_talwar

but I need to create "alternate quarters" that contain the last 12 months leading to the final month of the quarter.

Not sure I understand what you mean here?

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your reply, Sunny.

What I mean is that right now the quarters i have defined (using a master calendar) are normal quarters that have only three months.

However, the sector I work in is very seasonal. So I need to include the last 12 months' data when calculating a quarterly KPI to get rid of seasonality.

So what I need, is defined periods of time that have the data for the 12 months leading to the end of each quarter. So my time periods would be like this:

Period 1: Jul-15 to Jun-16 and I want to call it Q1-2017

Period 2: Oct-15 to Sep-16 and I want to call it Q2-2017

Period 3: Jan-16 to Dec-16 and I want to call it Q3-2017

Period 4: Apr-16 to Mar-17 and I want to call it Q4-2017

I called them "alternate quarters" because they are defined by the last month of every fiscal quarter.

sunny_talwar

Since these quarters are overlapping, it would be best if you use The As-Of Table

sunny_talwar

Here is a sample script to show how this can work

Table:

LOAD *,

MonthName(Date) as MonthYear,

'Q' & Ceil(If(Month(Date) > 4, (Month(Date)-3)/3, (Month(Date)+9)/3)) & '-' & If(Month(Date) > 4, Year(Date)+1, Year(Date)) as Quarter;

LOAD Date(MakeDate(2014, 12, 31) + IterNo()) as Date,

Ceil(Rand() * 100) * 100 as Sales

AutoGenerate 1

While MakeDate(2014, 12, 31) + IterNo() < MakeDate(2017, 4, 1);

AsOfTable:

Left Keep (Table)

LOAD DISTINCT MonthYear as AsOfMonthYear,

'Q' & Ceil(If(Month(Date) > 4, (Month(Date)-3)/3, (Month(Date)+9)/3)) & '-' & If(Month(Date) > 4, Year(Date)+1, Year(Date)) as AlternateQuarter,

MonthName(AddMonths(MonthYear, -IterNo() + 1)) as MonthYear

Resident Table

While IterNo() < 12;