Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dimension Label Color

One of you might have stumbled on this. Changing the color of a dimension label is no problem when the chart is a pivot or straight table (see below). For a simple example I changed the FY dimension "Background Color" to red().

But when you change the chart type to anything but straight or pivot the dimension label changes back to default black (see second screen print below). I'd like my FY dimension label to be highlighted red like in my straight table below.

Any thoughts? Can this be done?

Much thanks

error loading image

error loading image

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can't do it directly, but try a workaround by creating a text object in the line or bar graph with a red background that you put around the dimension labels. Make sure to untick the option "On Top" so that the red background is under the dimension labels. The result of the workaround is below.

Regards.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can't do it directly, but try a workaround by creating a text object in the line or bar graph with a red background that you put around the dimension labels. Make sure to untick the option "On Top" so that the red background is under the dimension labels. The result of the workaround is below.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Ha Ha. That's clever Karl! Not the most elegant solution but hey it works. I would have never thought about doing this. Thank you very much for the post. I hope in future versions there is an option for doing this on graphical charts.

Not applicable
Author

Maybe more elegant is to add an expression with the Dimension Field as expression (=DimensionField).

Untick all Bar display checkboxes and Tick 'Text on Axis'. Also untick Expression as Legend. In the Background color expression of this expression change the color.

Finally untick the Dimension display legend box.

Not applicable
Author

Roeland great suggestion. It works! Simple and effective, the way I like it. Thanks man.

ljdlumley
Contributor III
Contributor III

Great solution, now how can I make that rotate 45 degrees as my labels overlap if they are horizontal.

anbu1984
Master III
Master III

Chart Properties --> Axes --> Primary Dimension Labels - Select middle radio button for 45 degrees

ljdlumley
Contributor III
Contributor III

Anbu, that doesn't work in this case as we are using an expression label on the axes and not a Dimension label. Have a look at ranieuwe's answer to see what we were originally trying to solve.