Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Double Date Dimension in Line Graph

Hi Folks

I have a line graph where I need to have an analysis of values according to Transaction Date, but I only want to see the quaterend of those transaction dates plotted on the Axis.

When I include all transaction dates my expressions are plotting fine.

When I only include quarter ends my expressions don't work.

When I try to include both, I cannot tell the graph to only show values on the quarter end axis (legend etc).

I am assuming that the problem is related to the expressions I'm using, in that I have expressions using the syntax BELOW(DT_TransDate) - DT_TransDate

Anybody have any bright ideas for me?

Nigel.

6 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Nigel,

could you post an example?

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Hello Oleg

I attached one here, the chart in question is the Cash Flows & Market Indexes on the Performance tab (tab, not sheet).

At the moment it is showing all transaction dates, I want it to show just the quarter ends.

Cheers for any help,

Nigel.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Nigel,

see attached. You can use a dual() function to construct a Calculated Dimension with the numeric part keeping the actual date and the text part calculated to only show the Quarter End dates and show nothing for all other dates.

As a side note - it's an amazing visual design, truly admirable!!!

cheers!

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, but the solution has been pretty quickly rejected by the end users as they really want to see the quarter end proprotionately spaced along the bottom of the chart. It would appear that this solution is replacing transaction dates at appropriate times (very clever, but I can't use it).

PS: Thanks for the comments on the design, it took blood, sweat & many tears to develop it!!

Regards,

Nigel.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I noticed that the quarters are not proportionally spaced... This must be caused by the fact that your data is not spread evenly among all dates - some quarters have 2-3 data points while other quarters have 6.

You need to "equalize" the number of data points per quarter, and that will cause the chart to show even periods for quarters.

good luck!

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg

I assume you mean that I should equalize the number of data points through the load script somehow, but that's going to be very difficult as this chart can be shown over any and all granular levels through the model, trying to ensure every granular level has an equal number of data points would be close to impossible.

I cannot find anything in the properties of a chart that allows me to "equalize" data points, but I might be missing something.

Thanks for the help anyway,

Nigel.