Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic dimension - original vs new

Hi all,

I am developing a What If analysis app and am having a lot of trouble trying to do comparisons between original and newly calculated values based on a shifting Band. I have attached a QVW that demonstrates the issue I am having.

What I have is a set of records that each fall into a Band. Each Band is directly mapped to a particular Factor (called "MainFactor"; a value used in the final calculation). There are a number of other factor fields used in the calculation that I want users to be able to change but for this exercise I only need to change one. The three factors with the Amount (monetary field) are used to create a Calculated Amount.

I then want to compare the Calculated Amount against another "Corrected Amount" field which holds a value that has been calculated by another system. To this I use a variable to hold a "Step" which can be chosen from a drop down that goes up or down the bands + or - a number of steps from the original Band. The step is then used to reference a map that contains the new value for MainFactor that is to be substituted with the original MainFactor in the calculation.

The issue is when I want to see the value distribution for the different Bands. If I use the original Band dimension then calculate the data after shifting Band obviously on the x-axis it will still show the Calculated Amount under the original Band along with the Corrected Amount (original value). If I change the dimension so that it gets changed with the shifting of the Band it will show the Corrected Amount under the new Band along with the Calculated Amount. Both are incorrect. What I want is to have the Corrected Amount under its original Band and Calculated Amount shifted into the new Band.

The example provided may seem a little pointless but this is just a little test with fake data. It makes more sense in the full scale app with everything factored in. The crux of the issue is how do you compare an original dimension value against an updated dimension value when updating the dimension is going to change the x-axis.

Can any one suggest a solution to this issue? Or maybe I am going about this completely the wrong way and someone has a better suggestion to do this? Thanks.

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I also notice the values at the end of the second table (with calculated dimension) are strange. I am getting because some data falls out of range of the dimension?

Not applicable
Author

Just wanted to give this one bump. Still not found a resolution other than having two separate tables.