Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Dynamic mask expression for wildmatch

Hey,

Is it possible to give Wildmatch() a dynamic mask expressions based on fields in the data? I've attached an example application that illustrates what I'm trying to do. I'd like the Result/Result2 fields to be TRUE if any of the values in "Mask" field matches with the value in the "Dim" field. So in my example, rows 1,2,4 and 5 should be TRUE.

It seems to me that if the second parameter for Wildmatch is based on a field value (not a static string or a variable), QlikView compares the first parameter to the WHOLE mask, not the individual parts. I'm sure this can be solved by using loops and/or variables in some way but I'd like to avoid those in this case.

edit: if the data contains values "AAA", "AAAA" etc. it should NOT match with "A". "A*", "AA*" etc. should match though.

edit2: by using SubField() it's possible to extract individual values to get the correct result. Is there a way to do it without SubField though since it does generate (potentially) a lot more rows?

-Teemu

8 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Try like:

SubStringCount(MaskModified,Dim) as Result3,

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can use the index function: index('ABC', 'B')

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately row 1 returns FALSE if you use SubStringCount. Also if the data contains Dim value "AAA", that should NOT match with mask "A" but should match with "A*".

-Teemu

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks for your reply! I believe this solution has the same problem as tresesco's. If the data happens to contain dim "AAA", mask "A" incorrectly matches that value. Only "A*" etc. should match "AAAA".

-Teemu

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't see how 'AAA' can ever match 'ABC' or even 'A;A;A'.

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Index('AAA', 'A') returns 1. So does Index('AAA', 'AA') etc. I would like that only something similar to 'A*" would return 1 (or TRUE). In your example, I would like 'B' NOT to match with 'ABC'. Basically I need to be able to use wildcards.

If you think Index should work, could you provide a quick example? Thanks!

-Teemu

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Guess I just don't understand what you're trying to do.

Have a look at what this does:

LOAD Dim, Mask, min(Result) as Result Group By Dim, Mask;

LOAD *, if(WildMatch(Dim,MatchValue), -1, 0) as Result;

LOAD Dim, Mask, Subfield(Mask,';') as MatchValue INLINE [

Dim, Mask

AAA, A;B;C

AAA, A;A;A

A, ABC

A, A;B;C

A, *

B, A

B, B

B, A;B;C

B, ABC

B, B*

B, *B*

AB, *B*

AAA, ?AA

ABA, ?A*;B;C

ABA, ?A?;A?C;A?A

];

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

This solution does seem to work and it's actually the one I'm currently using myself.

While this does work fine, I'm wondering if there's a way to do it without extracting the individual field values via SubField(). I believe SubField creates a new row for each individual value and this might cause some issues if there's a lot of data (the example I provided is a lot simpler than the actual scenario I need this for).

-Teemu