Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helen_pip
Creator III
Creator III

Edit Expression - not deploying changes

Dear Qlikview user

I want to edit an expression which is being used in numerous objects

I go to Expression Overview and apply my changes there, however, when I go an check in the object, the change has not been deployed

Is the expression overview meant to have the function where you can change the expression and deploy globally throughout the QVW?

Kind Regards

Helen

6 Replies
stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Helena,

All Expressions is conected to each Object. If you want it global you have to add it as a variable. Then use variable in Expression. When you change variable, all Expressions will be changed.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Expression overview gives you object-wise expression edit facility. If you want a global change in one edit. You could create a variable to hold the expression and use the variable in the objects wherever you need to. Then if you change/edit in the variable, it will reflect everywhere.

tracysmart
Creator II
Creator II

Helen

Expression overview shows expression for individual objects on a sheet and you can indeed edit these in turn. Are you just changing the expression against one of the instances of it? You will need to edit against all instances.

What you really need is a variable that contains your expression. Use the variable in all your charts and then change the variable in Variable Overview - this will then affect all those objects using the variable.

Tracy

helen_pip
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Staffan

Thank you for that! I shall use variables instead

I have now made a change in the expression overview to an object and expect my1 object to have accepted the change...However the changes has not been applied to the 1 object

Why would expression overview not work for the 1 object I wish to change

What is the process I need to take in order for my object to accept the change

Kind Regards

Helen

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Helen,

when you work in Expression overview is a littlebit tricky to know what Object you change. You have to know in what sheet and what Object ID you change. I should start to copy/past the Expression from an Object where you want a global expression and the made a variable in Variable Oveview, than edit all Object inside the report to the New varaible.

marcus_sommer

Like the others mentioned to change expressions within the expression overview is difficult. By editing an expression you must find the right object and right expression and repeat this as many as you want/need to change. An alternatively to this is search & replace feature within the overview - but be very careful by doing this then you could change similar expressions quite easily.

Easier as this is it to use linked objects (as far as possible) and variables for the expressions preferable which with parameters. Here you will find everything what you need to work with Variables.

- Marcus