Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlik_Maestro
Contributor III
Contributor III

Failed to open document, for unknown reasons. -128

Hey guys,

So we upgraded from 11.2 to the latest 12.4 SR2. Most apps open fine except for a few that wont open in desktop or accesspoint. We see the following error on desktop.

Capture.PNG

Tried to look this error up but not getting any relevant results.

One way to work around this is to save the document in 12.4 SR1, and then bring it back into 12.4 SR2 to successfully open and save. Then the app works as expected. But bringing an app directly from 11.2 to 12.4 SR2 wont work for a few of our apps.

Does anyone know why this might be the case? We would rather just fix the QVW at the source rather than our workaround.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just wanted to add a new update here, it appears this appears to be most likely tied to defect QV-18942 related to straight table objects.  There is a fix in 12.50 and later as well as 12.40 SR4, otherwise the option is to open the apps in SR1 of 12.40, save them and then move them back etc.  Hopefully this may help, but I would recommend just applying SR4 of 12.40 if you can, that should address things if I have traced them correctly here.  Thanks to the customer that called this out to me, which allowed me to update things for everyone!

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

You did not mention what SR of version 11.20 you upgraded from?  If it is an old release, this is not that much of a surprise, as there could very well be a compatibility issue of some sort in the application, what exactly that is, is the 64k question.  SR3 for 12.40 is out now, can you try that to see if the issue persists?  If so, I would recommend opening a support case, as it would appear something changed in SR2 that has done something if SR1 is able to open etc.  The only other thing I could recommend is using the prj feature to rebuild the app that way and see if that works:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/QlikView_Projec...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
eightieschild
Creator
Creator

Hi

The exact same issue is happening for us upgrading from Qlikview 11.20 SR15 to 12.40 SR3. There isn't anything obviously wrong with the file and it opens fine in 11.20, but will not open in 12.40.

How do we rebuild an application from the component prj files?

Is there a solution to this?

Regards
Chris

marcus_sommer

Try it without prj-folders and maybe some other releases as intermediated step. Means for example just to install a 12.0 / 12.1 desktop client on separate machine and trying to open the application with and without data and if it worked saving a copy which you then tries with your target release.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

One other key thing to note here, you should not be taking QVW files back and forth between releases, as that has been known to cause file corruption, you should keep individual copies in each environment associated with the proper release version.  

Here is Help link regarding project files:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/QlikView_Projec...

One other thing you may want to try is opening the app in 12.40 without data and reloading in 12.40 and then saving to see if that changes things or not too.  Best I have for the moment.

Regards,
Brett

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just wanted to add a new update here, it appears this appears to be most likely tied to defect QV-18942 related to straight table objects.  There is a fix in 12.50 and later as well as 12.40 SR4, otherwise the option is to open the apps in SR1 of 12.40, save them and then move them back etc.  Hopefully this may help, but I would recommend just applying SR4 of 12.40 if you can, that should address things if I have traced them correctly here.  Thanks to the customer that called this out to me, which allowed me to update things for everyone!

Regards,
Brett