Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can you aggregate results from an IF statement?

Hi ,

I have a slightly complicated IFstatement that allows me to flag  records of individuals who have participated in an any activity 3 years prior to participating in a specific activity.

= If(Max({$<ACTIVITY_CODE = ,

PARTICIPATION = { 'Attended/Participated'}>}

START_DATE) < Min( {$<ACTIVITY_CODE = {'HASBS' },

PARTICIPATION ={'Attended/Participated'}

>} Total  <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE)

AND

Max({$<ACTIVITY_CODE = ,

START_DATE) > AddYears(Min( {$<ACTIVITY_CODE = {'HASBS' },

>} Total  <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE), -3)

, 1, 0)

This works and returns accurate 1s and 0s for whether they participated in activities or not.  Now, I just want to SUM those 1s and 0s to tally up the number of activities individuals participated in.  I've tried the statement below, but return an error.  Can anyone tell me the correct way to aggregate the results of an IF statment?

=Sum( Total <ID_NUMBER>   If(Max({$<ACTIVITY_CODE = ,

START_DATE) < Min( {$<ACTIVITY_CODE = {'HASBS' },

>} Total  <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE)

AND

Max({$<ACTIVITY_CODE = ,

START_DATE) > AddYears(Min( {$<ACTIVITY_CODE = {'HASBS' },

>} Total  <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE), -3)

, 1, 0))

Thanks!

Grace

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

No worries, that's what the forums are for 🙂 In your case (because of your chart dims) you'll actually need an aggr unfortunately. Give this a try:

sum(aggr(if(

max({<ACTIVITY_CODE,PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} START_DATE) < min({<ACTIVITY_CODE={'HASBS'},PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} total <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE)

and

max({<ACTIVITY_CODE,PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} START_DATE) > addyears(min({<ACTIVITY_CODE={'HASBS'},PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} total <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE),-3)

),ID_NUMBER,ACTIVITY_CODE))

Vlad

View solution in original post

4 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Well, the technical answer to your question is aggr() AKA advanced aggregation. But there probably a more elegant way of doing what you need. What are the names of your chart dimensions? And what type of chart is it?

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

My Dimensions are Id_Number and Activity_Code.  I've been experimenting with AGGR, but I know I'v got myself too tangled and I'm not going about this the best way. 

Thanks,

Grace

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

No worries, that's what the forums are for 🙂 In your case (because of your chart dims) you'll actually need an aggr unfortunately. Give this a try:

sum(aggr(if(

max({<ACTIVITY_CODE,PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} START_DATE) < min({<ACTIVITY_CODE={'HASBS'},PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} total <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE)

and

max({<ACTIVITY_CODE,PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} START_DATE) > addyears(min({<ACTIVITY_CODE={'HASBS'},PARTICIPATION={'Attended/Participated'}>} total <ID_NUMBER> START_DATE),-3)

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

Thanks!  This was so helpful!  To get what I needed, I actually ended up having to ignore the Activity_Code dimension in the final sum, so my logic was

sum( total <id_number> aggr(if(

and

Thanks again!

Grace