Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neena123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to properly use addmonths, monthstart and yearstart?

Hello, I am trying to create a date range by using addmonths, month start and year start. I don't think I have properly grasped how addmonths is supposed to work. This is what I am working with now:

LET WorkDay = ((year(addmonths(today(),-1))-1900)*1000)+round((monthstart(addmonths(today(),-1)))-(yearstart(addmonths(today(),-1))))+1;

What I want to pull is current year YTD and previous year YTD. But I am not getting last year at all. I am getting just this month's (July) data and last month's (June) data. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

3 Replies
MarioCenteno
Creator III
Creator III

Hi! neena123

Will this example work for you?

Prev Year

SUM({$<[Date]=

{'>=$(=AddMonths(YearStart(Today()),-12))<=$(=AddMonths(MonthEnd (Today()),-12))'}>}[Field])

Current Year

SUM({$<[Date]=

{'>=$(=AddMonths(YearStart(Today()),0))<=$(=AddMonths(MonthEnd (Today()),0))'}>}[Field])

Mario Centeno

neena123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your reply!! I am trying to set a variable in my script so when I pull in my files I just set it to the script expression I have set above. If that makes sense. I pull my data from Oracle so I have to work with the julian date.

MarioCenteno
Creator III
Creator III

You must declare the variables when loading the data with a specific date of your script.

Example

let vMaxDate  = '=max(date_example)';

let vMaxDay   = '=day(max(date_example))';

let vMaxMonth  = '=month(max(date_example))';

let vMaxYear  = '=max(Year)';

let vPriorMonth  = '=month(addmonths(max(date_example),-1))';

let vPriorMonthYear = '=Year(addmonths(max(date_example),-1))';

let vPriorYear  = '=vMaxYear-1';

let vPriorYearDate = '=date(addyears(max(date_example),-1),' & chr(39) & 'DD MMM YYYY' & chr(39) & ')';

[table]:

Load

Year([date_example]) as Year,

Month(date_example) as Month,

Day(date_example) as Day,

Date(monthstart(date_example), 'MM-YYYY') as MonthYear;

select date_example from table;