Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richters
Partner - Contributor III

Ignore dimension in formula but just show specific values of dimension in chart

Hi all,

I have got a structure like: group - codes. So each code has one group and each group can have a lot of codes.

What I want to show in a chart is every code that belongs to a selected code but in formula I have to ignore the group.

That means I have got a formula like this:

if(sum({<year={'2012'}, group=>} count_code)<sum({<year={'2013'}, group>} count_code),1,0)

So I exclude the group from the sum. I need to do this because codes may change the group it belongs to during the years but the code means the same. So it is not a new code (that is what I want to show though).

My problem is that when I have got the codes as a dimension now, It shows all codes - even if I select a group. I know, this is because I excluded it in formula but is there a trick to show just the codes that belongs to the selected group and exclude the selected group from the sum?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

SCD is a slowly changing dimension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowly_changing_dimension

p() returns a list of possible values in a set expression. So we modify the code selection by assigning the set of possible values (the set that is limited by your selection in group).

Do you get a reasonably result?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe like

if(sum({<year={'2012'}, code=p(), group=>} count_code)<sum({<year={'2013'}, code= p(), group=>} count_code),1,0)

It seems that you are handling a SCD, where relation code - group change over time. How do you handle this?

richters
Author

What do you mean with SCD?

Well, this p() is awsome...can you explain what it does?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

SCD is a slowly changing dimension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowly_changing_dimension

p() returns a list of possible values in a set expression. So we modify the code selection by assigning the set of possible values (the set that is limited by your selection in group).

Do you get a reasonably result?

richters
Author

Definitely makes sense! Thank you.

Because my codes just change once a year, I just need to put it in another group. And because we just need to look at 2 years in the application, there is no double-change or anything like that. That makes it easier, doesn't it?! The good thing is, looking at these codes two years ago doesn't give us any helpful information for today.