Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III

In expression statement, the use of various kinds of symbols..

Hi experts!

During the course of learning expression statement, I found myself a bit confused with the various sybols ( "",'',[],(),{},<>, etc. ), and their usage.  Any recommended reference regarding this?

For example,

1. num( Count({<[ID SCD duplicate]={"=Count([ID SCD duplicate])>1"}>}[ID SCD duplicate]), '# ##0')

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

In Expression 1.) ={"=Count, { is followed by ", to start the identifier condition.

However, in Expression 2.) ={'$(=Max, { is followed by ', to start the identifier condition.

And, what is [ ] for?  I thought, [ ] was to quote the existing expressions into the new expression.  But is it correct?

Can I find any related resource/reference on this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anil_Babu_Samineni

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

If i understand correct, the square bracket apply where field is not a single word like empno is the single word where [emp no] needs to be cover because qlik can capture as 2 words..

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Another finding is that, for the identifier of YEAR, it didn't put ' ' in the identifier expression. But MONTH did.

Could anyone help explain?

(this expression example was what I randomly captured in the forum, which was marked as Correct Answer. So, I assume that worked.)

Anil_Babu_Samineni

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Anil,

The article you provided about Double quotes & Single quotes really explained it mostly!  Thanks!

So far I think there's nothing better than your response.

I will keep my set expression going on with the tradition, to see if any confusion again.