Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

In-memory question

Hi All,

I know QlikView is an in-memory tool and that if all the data can't fit in memory(meaning the memory on the server isn't big enough to hold the entire data set), then paging will happen. If this is how QlikView works, the how is it different form all the other products that work the same way? Please advice and thank in advance for the help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe QlikView is not so much different from the products that work the same way, with regard to enough memory needed to cope with the data. But most "classical" BI tools just don't use in-memory technology, but store the data in file based databases and request more pre-aggregated values then do this on run time themselfes.

Though QlikView will compress your data quite efficiently, if your data model is too large for your built in memory, you will get in trouble.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe QlikView is not so much different from the products that work the same way, with regard to enough memory needed to cope with the data. But most "classical" BI tools just don't use in-memory technology, but store the data in file based databases and request more pre-aggregated values then do this on run time themselfes.

Though QlikView will compress your data quite efficiently, if your data model is too large for your built in memory, you will get in trouble.