Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Learning Curve: Report Writing vs BI

Hi All,

So I've been reading a lot of posts and documents related to QlikView and it definitely feels like I'm missing some fundamental concepts related to BI. Having many years experience working with relational databases and using report writing tools like Crystal Reports, I was expecting that I would be able to just jump right in to using QlikView but as it turns out I am having a hard time just getting past loading my data.

Things like joining two tables by more than one field in a RDMS are straight forward but it seems to require some additional thought process when working with QlikView.

With that said, I have a fairly general question. Are there any recommended reads or links to help fill in these gaps?

At the same time, maybe I'm over thinking it's not as hard as I think?? 😕

Thoughts?

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Dariusz!

Already purchased and I'm reading it now!

Not applicable
Author

For me (i also came here from RDBMS and BPM, via ETL) first surprise was, that to have key you should simple have the same field names.

Important difference between QV and other is, that your data are joined by tool for free So, you dont need to think about that in your expressions. But of course sometimes it causes some problems, like circular refernces or composite keys. But i;am sure, after few weeks it will become very natural for you...