Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewjbryant
Creator II
Creator II

Linest() vs Trendline Equation

I'm looking at the Linest() functions and used a Load script found on the Qlik website (attached). The Linest_b() function gives a different value to the intercept value on the trendline equation, but the Linest_b() value appears to be right.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

My guess it that the lineair reference line stops at X=1 and therefore show the value at X=1 as the linest_b value. Whereas your linest expression correctly calculates and show the value for X=0

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

My guess it that the lineair reference line stops at X=1 and therefore show the value at X=1 as the linest_b value. Whereas your linest expression correctly calculates and show the value for X=0

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe Gysbert is right here.

There are some few threads here that discussed this - non-intuitive IMHO - behaviour of the trendline calculation, e.g.

Matching linest_m and linest_b function to auto-generated trendline

I can only assume that this behaviour was created like it is to show e.g. trendlines for data over time in a more 'natural' way (in a sense that it is only looking at the data points available), since the zero point for dates is quite arbitrarily chosen anyway.