Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevbrown
Creator II
Creator II

Link Table

Hi,

I am bringing 6 or 7 qvds into an app and I've had to create a link table to resolve my synthetic key issue.  However, I'm finding that not everything is linking and pulling through as I would have expected.  I've created a key field, does the contents of this key field need to be the same for all the linking fields in the tables? For example, I have a product table that has, UPC Code, Unit, Line and Area, I then have a micro table that include UPC Code and Unit, a third table called Taste which has UPC Code, Line and date and finally a calendar table with date and I'm creating a link table for all of these.

3 Replies
rcurlewis
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

Please send a screenshot of your Data Model Viewer.  This might help to visually see the problem.

Robert

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The values of a key field between one of your tables and the link must be the same for there to be an association. But you can have a separate key for each table linked to the link table, based on the fields relevant to that particular link.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
kevbrown
Creator II
Creator II
Author

So for my link field I would need say UPC Code, Unit and Date in all my tables?  No in just some and not in others?