Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bohsaly_mohamad_24
Contributor
Contributor

Linking fields from unrelated tables

Dear concerned,

I have two tables (unrelated according to the data model). One has [Start Year]-[End Year] and the other has [Fiscal Year]. I tried using if conditions within the set expression input box to display rows only when [Start/End Year] = [Fiscal Year], but it didn't work out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mohamad

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

An expression spanning two tables with no association forces Qlik to build a cartesian product (aka cross join)  of the two tables and the condition needs to be evaluated for every record in the cartesian product. On very very small models, you can get sway with this, but with larger models the best case is a very slow query (minutes, rather than seconds), the worst case is running out of RAM.

i am not sure what output you need, but you may need to interval match these two tables in the load to create an association.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

An expression spanning two tables with no association forces Qlik to build a cartesian product (aka cross join)  of the two tables and the condition needs to be evaluated for every record in the cartesian product. On very very small models, you can get sway with this, but with larger models the best case is a very slow query (minutes, rather than seconds), the worst case is running out of RAM.

i am not sure what output you need, but you may need to interval match these two tables in the load to create an association.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein