Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II

Log Folder - Changing Destination

Hi,

I want to change the Destination of the Log Folder on the QMC (System > Setup > QlikView Servers > Logging) but not sure if  I can just change this or do I need to stop any of the services first?

Also does this only populate the following files:

Performance_ServerName.log

Events_ServerName.log

Sessions_ServerName.log

And if the above log files already exist in the new folder location will this cause any issues?

Basically what has happened the server got corrupted a month back or so and the QMC went back to its default settings, I did most of the changes to how settings were before the corruption but just noticed that the Log Folder has the path of

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

And I want this changing back to the previous Log Folder location which we had before the corruption.

Thanks

7 Replies
Not applicable

Hi you need stop the services. After the changes you need to restart the server.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Change the ServerLogFolder entry in Settings.ini in the default log file directory. Restart QVS. That should do it. The old logs will be kept, the new ones will be created in the new location.

You may have to shut down QVS before you make changes to Settings.ini.

Peter

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Not sure where C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewServer came from, that is not the default location. However, you can do it in the QMC see the below screen shot.

Untitled.png

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Probably an older machine without C:\ProgramData...

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Peter,

Yea, forgot about that. Haven't seen 2003 in a while.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi, so would the services need to be stopped first? And would i need to delete the existing log files that are currently in there at the moment or will it sort this out?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you use Bill's QMC trick, then I assume that the QMS will restart the service if needed (just like when you change the Document Root Folder)

After modifying the log target folder, the service will simply start writing log files in the new location and forget about the old ones.

Peter