Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timanshu
Creator III
Creator III

Missing Field from Csv Delimited file

Hi,

I have a delimited csv file. I Have 10 fields in most of the row. But in between rows, few rows have more than 11 fields. Qv does not create fields for these extra fields. how it can be done.??

2 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A CSV-file is not a well-defined and agreed upon format. Most CSV-files have a fixed number of columns. Well-behaved systems should not produce CSV-files with a varying number of columns. What you are describing is a free-format text-file with delimiters. It is not uncommon - but it is quite a hassle to deal with - dirty data.

However you can tell QlikView to disregard any header in the file and force it to read a maximum number of columns. What happens then is that rows with fewer columns will have empty strings or null-values in the missing columns - that will always be at the end. But you might still get unpredictable results unless there is a strict logic to have columns are left out and you can analyze and determine this from some source files.

timanshu
Creator III
Creator III
Author

How can I tell QlikView to disregard any header in the file and force it to read a maximum number of columns??