Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gileswalker
Creator
Creator

Networkdays Calculation - Exact Decimals Required

Hi Community Forum,

Hope you can help with this one please?

I have what I thought was a simple query, but after scouring the community page, no-one else seems to be asking this one.

I work in a business where we want to calculate the exact number of working days between a 'StartDateTime' and an 'EndDateTime', taking holidays into account.  However because this is driving KPI reporting, we want to be exact. Networkdays isn't doing it for me....here are some details of my experience.

Here is how I currently approached it.  Due to the requirement to manage weekdays and holidays, I started with the following function:

NetWorkDays(date_ordered, DateCompleted, $(vStatHols)) as WorkDaysToComplete

....however of course, I only get a whole number returned using this function.

Example - one order looked like this

date_ordered =           5/01/2015 11:51:36 AM

DateCompleted =      7/01/2015 10:28:13 AM

Networkdays =           3

The actual correctly calculated working days is 1.942 days. 

The difference from a KPI performance perspective is quite significant (1.058 days) and it magnifies once you spread that logic across a year of order processing and customer reporting.

I will also need the function to round up and down the exact result.........so in the above, it would of course be 2 days.

If anyone can assist me in how I can achieve this, I would really appreciate it.  I don't know what other function will allow the calculation of working days and holidays other than networkdays.  Hoping there is an easy solution to get the exact decimal.

Thanks

Giles

23 Replies
qlikcook
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Maxgro.

Thanks for providing the answer.

I find myself in a similar position and have now realised that I need to rework many of the measurements - but at least now I am certain that it's giving the exact interval.

One question to your formular:
NetWorkDays(d1, d2) -2 +(1-frac(d1))+ frac(d2)

Why subtract 2 from the number of NetWorkDays?
I might have an idea why but I am looking for the actual explanation (in layman terms please).

Thanks,
Johan

Malini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

your solution works perfectly thank you very much ! Could you explain the last row please ? 

hadari
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Masimo- I know several years have passed but how can I add calcualtion to count only working  hours?

( 08 am- 5 pm) 

and how can I exclude friday and saturday ( instead saturdays and sundays)? in Networkdays funcion?

hope you will see this massage  🙂

YS1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Maxgro,

What exactly does the -2 , does it refer to some holiday as described below

I am using the function and it works in general fine but I also get some negative values,

I tried removing the -2 and still not better

Do you maybe have some other proposal ,

Many thanks 

Auditor cycle 2 Auditor Action Timestamp Expense Report Timestamp
-1.457504769 2023-04-23 : 8:32 AM 2023-04-22 :7:30:48 PM

YS1