Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

One File, Multiple not-related data sets?

I am new to QV and have been enjoying it over the past few days as I've learned much by searching through the community.

I have been asked to create a QV doc with four dashboards - three from one data set and one from a different data set.  The two data sets MUST NOT associate with each other.  There are some common field names but as the data sets are from different systems and intended for different purposes, they must each remain separate.

Is it possible to have two distinct data sets within a single qvw files?

At first I thought perhaps tabs (after seeing that in the scripts editor), but realized such was not the case.

QV 11.20.12354.0 64 bit.

Thank you.

Mark.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create one datamodel in which the two sets are associated. Then use Alternate States to create different selection states that do not interfere with each other. You can create alternate states on the General tab of the document properties window and assign alternate states to sheet objects on the General tab of the properties window of those objects. Selections in one alternate state will not affect objects assigned another alternate state.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create one datamodel in which the two sets are associated. Then use Alternate States to create different selection states that do not interfere with each other. You can create alternate states on the General tab of the document properties window and assign alternate states to sheet objects on the General tab of the properties window of those objects. Selections in one alternate state will not affect objects assigned another alternate state.

Not applicable
Author

I hadn't thought of that.  I did play with Alternate States a couple of days ago.  However, as I mentioned, the two data sets, although there are some common field names, should not be mixed.

I suppose, I could create a new column in my load identifying data source:

Select 'Source A' as datasource,, col1, col2, etc. From Source A

Select 'Source B' as datasource, col1, col2, etc. From Source B

Then perhaps use an Alternate State where I define a state as being one data source or another.

I just checked and one of the commonly named data sets has a different data definition in the two tables. SQL Server database and in one it is nvarchar(32) and the other nvarchar(64).  At least they are the same data type, just the definition is different.  Would that matter?

Thanks.

Mark.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I suppose, I could create a new column in my load identifying data source:

Select 'Source A' as datasource,, col1, col2, etc. From Source A

Select 'Source B' as datasource, col1, col2, etc. From Source B

Yes, that's a very good idea.

I just checked and one of the commonly named data sets has a different data definition in the two tables. SQL Server database and in one it is nvarchar(32) and the other nvarchar(64).  At least they are the same data type, just the definition is different.  Would that matter?

Qlikview knows only strings and numbers as data types. So to Qlikview the length of your original nvarchar fields is irrelevant.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated!