Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Period of Date in a Bar Graph Dimension.

Dear All,

I'm working in a Bar Graph where I need to do a Dimension of Weeks of Last 6 months with a simple expression of a count.

I´m with problems to create the dimension. If I don´t limit the 6 months it works fine. When I try to limit it I´m getting an error in the dimension. I´m trying the sintax bellow:

=if( DATE > addmonths(max([ DATE ),-6),WeekStart( DATE ))

Thanks in advance,

André Rodrigues

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the problem with your original expression is that you are trying to aggregate to get the max date in the dimension.  This will always fail.  Some aggregations can be done, if you use the Aggr function.

The potential quick fix to what you have is to create a variable that returns the date six months prior to your maximum date.

To do this create a variable with the name vSixMonthsAgo and give it this code:

=addmonths(max({1}DATE), -6)

This will calculate the max date outside of any dimensions or selections (if you want within the last six months or the latest date in the current selection remove the {1}).

Your expression would then read as:

=if( DATE > vSixMonthsAgo, WeekStart( DATE ))

I would strongly advise to do as much work as possible in your load script though, this will make your life much easier.  You can take one source field and map it into many variations or derived fields, eg:

LOAD
    DATE,

WeekStart(DATE) as [Start Of Week],

if(DATE >= addmonths(today(), -6), 1, 0) as InLastSixMonths,

[... rest of load ...]

Your dimension could then user

=if(InLastSixMonths = 1, [Start Of Week])

However, this will be calculating values for older dates, just not displaying them.  So, better still, you could just use [Start Of Week] as the dimension, and have an expression like this:

sum(Sales * InLastSixMonths)

Note that the load uses today rather than Max(DATE) due to not being able to mix aggregation levels.  If you require it to be based against the max DATE you would either need to do a sub query (if your data is coming from SQL) or do a separate load statement with a group by and Peek out the max value to a variable (look up Peek in the help if you need details on this).

To fix the set analysis route outlined above you could put a Date function in the query:

Sum({<Date = {'>=$(=Date(AddMonths(Max(Date),-6),'DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS'))'}>}Sales)

Sorry there is a whole bunch of options in the above, but hopefully by looking through the various approaches you can arrive at the best solution.

- Steve

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MayilVahanan

HI

Use WeekStart(Date) as dimension

Sum({<Date = {'>=$(=AddMonths(Max(Date),-6))'}>}Sales)

Hope it helps

Make sure Date and AddMonths() date format same

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mayil,

The dates format are different. DATE (DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS) and ADDMONTHS (DD/MM/YYYY)

Please help.

Thanks

MayilVahanan

Hi

While Load, change Date(DateField) as DateField and reload it

Hope that helps

Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mayil,

I can´t ajust the Date format at load time once I need the time for other analysis. Can I convert it at expression time?

Regards

MayilVahanan

HI

Use TimeStamp() function

=TimeStamp(AddMonths(Max(DateTest),-6),'DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS')

Hope it helps

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the problem with your original expression is that you are trying to aggregate to get the max date in the dimension.  This will always fail.  Some aggregations can be done, if you use the Aggr function.

The potential quick fix to what you have is to create a variable that returns the date six months prior to your maximum date.

To do this create a variable with the name vSixMonthsAgo and give it this code:

=addmonths(max({1}DATE), -6)

This will calculate the max date outside of any dimensions or selections (if you want within the last six months or the latest date in the current selection remove the {1}).

Your expression would then read as:

=if( DATE > vSixMonthsAgo, WeekStart( DATE ))

I would strongly advise to do as much work as possible in your load script though, this will make your life much easier.  You can take one source field and map it into many variations or derived fields, eg:

LOAD
    DATE,

WeekStart(DATE) as [Start Of Week],

if(DATE >= addmonths(today(), -6), 1, 0) as InLastSixMonths,

[... rest of load ...]

Your dimension could then user

=if(InLastSixMonths = 1, [Start Of Week])

However, this will be calculating values for older dates, just not displaying them.  So, better still, you could just use [Start Of Week] as the dimension, and have an expression like this:

sum(Sales * InLastSixMonths)

Note that the load uses today rather than Max(DATE) due to not being able to mix aggregation levels.  If you require it to be based against the max DATE you would either need to do a sub query (if your data is coming from SQL) or do a separate load statement with a group by and Peek out the max value to a variable (look up Peek in the help if you need details on this).

To fix the set analysis route outlined above you could put a Date function in the query:

Sum({<Date = {'>=$(=Date(AddMonths(Max(Date),-6),'DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS'))'}>}Sales)

Sorry there is a whole bunch of options in the above, but hopefully by looking through the various approaches you can arrive at the best solution.

- Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks all,

The variable with the last date solved the comparison.

Regards,

André