Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nellieboy
Contributor
Contributor

Personal Edition - can I still access files if I have to reinstall Windows?

Hi, I'm reasonably new to QlikView and have created a number of files using the personal edition. If i do a full reinstall of Windows (from 7 to 10 but upgrade doesn't work properly so will do full new install) will my files still work on the same PC?

Also, on a similar point, I read the 4 user keys can be changed per document. Does this mean that if my files don't work after the upgrade I can recover all my files up to 4 times, or just 4 files in total?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Make sure to copy the QlikTech folders from C:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Local and C:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Roaming over from your windows7 installation to your windows10 installation before trying to open Qlikview on windows10. With luck that should allow you to open your old documents without needing to use the recovery feature.

You get only four recoveries in total, not per document. And with each recovery the license key of QV Desktop changes and you won't be able to open documents created with an earlier license. You'll run out of recoveries very quickly that way.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Josh_Berg_Support

Another way around this issue is to lease a license from Qlikview Server to get Qlikview Desktop out of Personal Edition.  This will license Qlikview Desktop for 30 days, which will then require you to reconnect to Qlikview to lease a license again.  You will also need an available Named User CAL to be able to lease the license.  Take a look at the link below which will show you everything you need to know about leasing a license in Qlikview Desktop:

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000002480

If you're unable to lease a license, you can also purchase a Qlikview Desktop license instead which won't require you to connect to QVS every 30 days.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Josh

Qlik Support

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Here is a link to the Help for the topic, but I am not even certain myself after reading through things exactly how things are going to behave here, I think you may have to try a couple of apps to see what it says, but I believe you are only going to be able to 'convert' 4 of your apps, and the rest will be stuck, you would have to recreate them, but if you could grab the script etc., you would at least not have to do that part.  

All of the meta data of the app is stored in the QVW file, you can actually read it by opening the QVW file in NotePad++ or equivalent text editor, that may prove helpful in this case.  Sorry I do not have anything better for you here.

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/QlikView_Pers...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.