Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Problem sending a command error

Hello,

I've installed QV11 IR for a few of our customers (clean with no prior QV installations) and I get this weird error when I try to open any qvw document by double clicking it:

"There was a problem sending the command to the program."

I can just click OK and everything seems to work as it's supposed to but what exactly is that error? If I open QV11 first and the file --> open, the error doesn't show up. It only happens when opening a document by double clicking it in windows explorer.

Any thoughts on this? I tried googling and searching the community but didn't find any relevant information.

-Teemu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I just had to try it and it worked. I did the following:

1. uninstalled QV11 Desktop

2. installed QV10 Desktop

3. upgraded to QV11

It created the registry values and now the document open without errors. It's not pretty but it works

-Teemu

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Teemu,

Do you have .NET 4 installed onto those computers? Although it's only required for Server explicitly, you might need to have it installed to run the Desktop as well.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hey Miguel,

Thanks for your reply. The computer I'm working on also runs the server so .NET 4 is installed.

-Teemu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Teemu,

That may be caused for a corrupt or incorrect entry in the Windows Registry. So if you have permissions to run the regedit.exe close all open QlikView programs opened (including Desktop and Plugin), run regedit.exe (start button, run, regedit), and browse the registry to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\DDECache\qv\System

Right click on "qv" and select Export to make a backup, and save the REG file in the Desktop (for example). Then right click on System and delete it.

Open QlikView, close it, and double click on the QVW file. That should open the file just fine.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

It seems that the final System folder doesn't have a subfolder called qv. My own desktop machine does have it and I don't have the problem on this computer.

Can I somehow generate the missing keys?

-Teemu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Teemu,

Check the complete path to the key as above. "qv" is not under System, but the opposite: System is under "qv"

Regards.

Miguel

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Whops What I ment to say was, there isn't a folder called qv in DDECache. Sorry about that.

-Teemu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Teemu,

Then try to repair or reinstall QlikView so it can create all registry entries once again. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version (there is an update to the IR).

Hope that helps.

Miguel

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Actually I just upgraded to the newest IR build but it didn't seem to help.

I wonder what could cause the registry values to be left out during installation. I do have admin privileges on the server so that's not the problem. This has now happened 2 out of 2 times when I've installed QV11 on a server environment. I never had the problem with QV10 or on my local desktop computer (with QV11).

I must be really lucky to be the only one with this error

-Teemu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Teemu,

Do not hesitate to contact support@qlik.com or your nearest local support (check here) so they can open a case (or do it yourself if you are a Partner) and find out what is really happening. If you have had version 10 working, the key should exists, so definitely something is wrong there. Do you still have version 10 and does it work?

Anyway please, once it is solved, come back and share with us the issue and the fix!

Regards.

Miguel