Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with concat function in an expression

I have a straight table with 3 dimensions:  TransactionID, Account, Date

I want to concatentate the following four fields, separated by commas, but omitting the comma if the field is NULL.

InsID2

InsID3

InsID4

InsID5

Using concat( InsID2&''&InsID3&''&InsID4&''&InsID5, ', ' ) should work, but I get inconsistent results.

For example, where InsID2 = OTHER, and all others are NULL, I see the following results:

OTHER

OTHER, OTHER

OTHER, OTHER, OTHER

OTHER, OTHER, OTHER, OTHER

Sometimes, where InsID2 = WC and InsID3 = BC, it returns WCBC, omitting the comma.

Also, where all 4 fields are NULL, the commas still appear sometimes (but not always).

Am I missing something in the syntax of this expression?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

hmm... yes i was afraid of that. There could be a quick tweak , but only if you know of a character that would NEVER be in the VALUE.  Here i picked the '|' character. I replace spaces with |'s in each value and then at the end put the spaces back in.  Would you have |'s in your values  ?:)   I can't say i'm completely satisfied with it . We should be able to get to a 100% guarantee. Anyways let me know what your comfortable with.

replace( replace( trim( replace(InsID2,' ','|')& ' ' & replace(InsID3,' ','|')&' ' & replace(InsID4,' ' ,'|') &' ' & replace(InsID5,' ','|')),' ',','),'|',' ')

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Not sure if you want concat().  How about this ? 

InsID2 & if( isnull(InsID2)<>-1,',') & InsID3 & if( isnull(InsID3)<>-1,',') & InsID4 & if( isnull(InsID4)<>-1,',') & InsID5 & if( isnull(InsID5)<>-1,',')

It will be a different result every row in the chart

MarcoWedel

please post sample app.

thanks

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Jonathan.  That solved the errors.  The only remaining issue is how to eliminate the comma that appears at the end of each created string.  Any thoughts?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Ha !  simple (my mistake)

InsID2 & if( isnull(InsID2)<>-1,',') & InsID3 & if( isnull(InsID3)<>-1,',') & InsID4 & if( isnull(InsID4)<>-1,',') & InsID5

Not applicable
Author

Forgive my miscommunication.  There's a comma at the end of every line:

OTHER,

OTHER,BC,

OTHER,BC,AUTO,

Any way to supress that?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

The solution to this issue would involve too many IFs so i different approach may work better.

Try this:

=  replace( trim(InsID2& ' ' & InsID3&' ' & InsID4&' ' & InsId5),' ',',')

it should work great, except if the InsID values could have spaces within the value.

Not applicable
Author

It does work!  But, as you said, there are sometimes spaces in the field value.  I know how to take care of this in Excel, but can't quite get it right in Qlikview.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

hmm... yes i was afraid of that. There could be a quick tweak , but only if you know of a character that would NEVER be in the VALUE.  Here i picked the '|' character. I replace spaces with |'s in each value and then at the end put the spaces back in.  Would you have |'s in your values  ?:)   I can't say i'm completely satisfied with it . We should be able to get to a 100% guarantee. Anyways let me know what your comfortable with.

replace( replace( trim( replace(InsID2,' ','|')& ' ' & replace(InsID3,' ','|')&' ' & replace(InsID4,' ' ,'|') &' ' & replace(InsID5,' ','|')),' ',','),'|',' ')

Not applicable
Author

We have a winner! 

Can't say that I understand how it works, but I'll study it. 

Thanks very much for your help, Jonathan!