Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView cache, variables

Hi All,

I have below questions

1) When we do any selection, qlikview stores that into cache, next day when reload happens and new data added, cache results stored before will work?

2) When I open the application on access point, variables gets calculated?

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

1) A reload will clear the selections-cache because the datamodel will be change.

2) I would say yes but it might depend on how opening is defined and where the variable reside and what should be calculated - is there any issue with it?

- Marcus

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

1) Cached results remain until storage is required for newer entries and then older cached entries are rolled out. A chart calculation will use a cached entry if it uses the same Dimension(s), Expression and selected data as a result in the cache.  It's possible for previously cached results to be used after a reload. For example, assume we are in 2017. User selects 2016 to see previous year, results are cached.  Overnight, reload adds more data for 2017. If user selects 2016 in the updated app, the 2016 cached results are still valid.

It's even possible for cache results to be used between apps.

2) My understanding is that variables are calculated only when they are referenced. That said, I think I've seen circumstances where variables defined with "=" are calculated even when not referenced on the current sheet. I have not been able to recreate this though.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks marcus.

I have created the variable with "=" and they are many, so do they cause opening the application issue on access point? Currently I am opening the application with saved page as blank sheet (no objects), though it takes a lot of time to open application.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response rob.

I have created the variable with "=" and they are many, so do they cause opening the application issue on access point? Currently I am opening the application with saved page as blank sheet (no objects), though it takes a lot of time to open application.

marcus_sommer

I think the variables could have an impact on the opening times and the performance even on a blank sheet because the variables belong to the whole document and not to a single sheet.

- Marcus