Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richnorris
Creator II
Creator II

Qlikview Extract Optimisation

Hi there,

Does anyone know any good optimisation techniques beyond 'make sure the QVD does an optimised load'?

I'm having trouble with my code, where we currently do a resident load of the main fact table. Then we perform a whole bunch of different conditional logic on it in order to derive flags which are used to speed up the front end.

The trouble is, that this conditional logic is very very slow.

We do:

if(Match(IF(Match(stuff), 'TRUE', IF([A Field]) = 'C'), 'TRUE', IF(Lookup(LookupStuff), [Some Field], IF(isnull(Lookup(TheSameLookupStuffAgain),'[Some Other Field]')) ))), 'FALSE') = 0), 'Yes', 'No') AS TC

Which is a complicated way of saying,

A)If some field contains some value that isn't FALSE                                        

[ IF(Match(stuff) ]

AND

B)If this other field contains some value that isnt FALSE                                 

[ IF([A Field]) = 'C') ]

AND

C)If this lookup gives a result, and that result isnt 'FALSE'                                

[ IF(Lookup(LookupStuff), [Some Field]  ]

AND

D)If the lookup gives a null, then use a different field, if that result isn't 'FALSE'    

[ IF(isnull(Lookup(TheSameLookupStuffAgain),'[Some Other Field]')]

Then set TC to Yes, otherwise No.

We then do a few other bits and peices, but its really just a repetition of various aspects of this, using different fields, so any solution to this would help fix the others.

I was thinking there might be some way to create a mapping table and load that, but I can't really see where I could use it? Would saving the Fact table off to a QVD first help in any way, maybe there's a 'WHERE EXISTS([Field)) that you could see would help the logic in some way?

any ideas would be massively appreciated!

1 Reply
kuczynska
Creator III
Creator III

You can always start from transforming all of the keys within the tables from text to numeric values, it will help (I used autonumber() to create my keys).

Same thing with IF statements and some other transformations - replacing string values with numeric values in the flag fields you are using in front end should speed up your code too. This may require creating some additional columns in your load script, but it may be worth trying.

This simple change helped me recently to solve out of memory issues we started to have and it doesn't take long time to implement.