Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
On May 18th at 10AM EDT we will answer your QlikView questions live. REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devans_1
Creator
Creator

Question on Data Reduction and Security

I have set up a document that restricts data for certain users. It reads the NTNAME and field restrictions from an Excel file. and works fine - just as I would hope. However, when I access the document through the Qlikview Access point, the document fails to open, instead prompting me for a user name. If I enter my user name, it then prompts me for a password. Has anybody used security access like this and if so can they offer advice as to why this is not working ? I am wondering why

a) I am being prompted for a user name and

b) why I am being prompted for a password bearing in mind that I am not using passwords as security, just the user name.

Can anybody offer any advice ?

5 Replies
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

David ~ are you sure AccessPoint is seeing the same account that you're using to open up the document locally?  Check the upper-right hand on the AccessPoint page where is says "Logged in as:"  This may sound like a dumb question but I've seen some strage setups.

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Also ~ are you using "Strict Exclusion" (Settings > Document Properties > Opening tab)?  If not, I'll bet that turns out to be your issue.  Opening the document locally would work if you're an admin in Section Access, but not in Server (everyone is USER in Server.)  Let me know.  -Isaiah

devans_1
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Isaiah. Thanks for your comments. I have investigated and this is what I have discovered.

1) The user name is the same on the Access Point as locally barring a couple of differences with capital letters. I have been aware of this but since everything gets converted to capitals I can't see a problem here.

2) Strict Exclusion is ticked so no problem here.

3) I think the problem is to do with ADMIN and USER. I am set up as ADMIN in the Exel spreadsheet so from what you are saying I am treated as USER on the server which I didn't realise. If I change myself to USER then I can't open the document locally. I don't even get prompted for user name and password - it just won't let me open the document. But this expalins the differences.

UPDATE: I belive I am not translating my keyword ALL properly. I need to set this up as an INLINE to translate ALL to every occurrence of each field I am selecting on (there are two).

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Based on your update ~ curious to see if you get it working.  It can be a bit cumbersome to understand how this works initially when you want to give yourself/power users access to everything.  When I haven't messed with it for a while I usually start with a tiny little "test" app to get up and running and then port over to my actual app.

Also, your field name(s) that you're joining on to your actual data.  Those field names have to be UPPERCASE.  Both in the Section Access table and in your data.  Sometimes if this is a problem I just make a copy of them in the actual data with the uppercase name.

-Isaiah

devans_1
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Isaiah.

The key to the problem for me was understanding that even if the document is set up as admin, it is accessed in user mode via the server which at least explains why I was getting different restrictions depending on how I accessed it.

The access was further complicated since I want this restricted based on two fields rather than just one. The other thing I had to remember is that leaving a column blank or '*' does not mean all values. So I used the keyword ALL which I had to translate into all available values via an INLINE. Since there were two fields I had to concatenate these together and create a matrix for all combinations of the two fields plus multiple lines for ALL. A little complicated perhaps but it seems to work and made easier by the fact that my fields were mutually exclusive which reduced the matrix calculation.

Thanks again for your help. I have learnt a bit.....