Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Referencing the values for one field in different tables in an equation

I have a field, fiscal_year, which links two of my datasets.  In one dataset the values range from 2010-2013, and in the other they range from 2010-2019.  As part of a conditional statement, I would like to reference both tables' values separately.  Essentially, I would like to say, "If fiscal_year in Table1 is equal to fiscal_year in Table2, then____________."  Obviously I cannot just use the field name, because the values in the two datasets differ in their range.

Thanks!

[Edited the title to clarify]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Marco, I think the problem here is a more fundamental understanding of QlikView. QV utilizes an associative data model. From a data point of view, it does not matter which table a field value is in--QlikView itself only sees memory pointers and associations. Because of this, it's not possible to compare the same field's values in one table to the values in another. You would need to find another field that returns the condition you are looking for. Paste a few rows from your table, along with the desired output, and someone on here will try to help you out.

Regards,

Vlad

View solution in original post

4 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Marco, I think the problem here is a more fundamental understanding of QlikView. QV utilizes an associative data model. From a data point of view, it does not matter which table a field value is in--QlikView itself only sees memory pointers and associations. Because of this, it's not possible to compare the same field's values in one table to the values in another. You would need to find another field that returns the condition you are looking for. Paste a few rows from your table, along with the desired output, and someone on here will try to help you out.

Regards,

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Vlad - you're right that I didn't understand that aspect of QV.  I found a workaround solution and am working to make that perfect right now, so thank you for your guidance.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

No problem, post back on here if you encounter any problems.

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

Hi Vlad - my current question is here:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/123104