Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Running Qlik from double click on icon through remote desktop

Good day,

I wanted to formulate this question because of some conflicting information on the subject.

So I wanted clarification on the remote desktop usage of qlikview, where I am -strictly- referring to remote desktop as in remote desktop connection.

This connection is not virtualized and is not executed through terminal server. It is a straight remote desktop connection for a single user, single profile windows PC where qlikview is bound, there's a router port forwarding rule that allows remote connection to the PC for this.

Dynamic is the following.

1) User X has a license of clikview bound to his PC profile.

2) User X starts his PC, double clicks on a qlikview file, works on the file, closes the file.

3) User X locks windows, leaves his PC and goes to a completely different site of his workplace.

4) User X connects to his desktop through remote desktop using his PC profile (same as in first step), and double clicks on a qlikview file to work on it.

5) Restart from point 3.

As you can see, there's no virtualization involved. The user doesn't execute a remote app nor anything of the sort. He double clicks the qlikview icon on his desktop. This is entirely different from a virtualized execution of clikview, that's covered in a could installation / cloud license of the program.

Is this remote desltop connection situation covered by the single-user, profile-bound licese of clikview?

And if it's not, is there any lead on why? What's the step / explanation that invalidates the license? Or who should I contact to elevate the question?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

AFAIK there is nothing in the QULA or License metrics document that states that you cannot do this. The only restriction I could find is one for a Local license which may only be used on a single computer. But since you are always executing ("running") QV desktop on a single computer, I think your usage is covered by the existing licensing terms.

However, IANAL neither am I an employee of the Qlik legal department.. You should talk to your partner or account manager about this.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply.

Hopefully we can also get a reply from somebody that already faced this situation.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Just a word of warning: this is a very specific question for which you should not necessarily rely on a volunteer community to provide you with a legally binding answer.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Of course

But clearly if somebody else already faced the subject, an opinion helps determine direction of further steps

...especially since their chat support sent me here, hah.